comment out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comment out

does ";" serves for comment out... where it could be used (instead of REM)

I got a config file with all the entry lines starting with ;

Example:

[Interface]
    ; Path=\\servername\folder\

I guess that ";" make it commented...
    The same config is on working server for years...

But in suppliers doc they say it should be enabled.
    Am I wrong?

found couple of entries without ";"

So "panic" canceled. Should be it -comment out. Just waiting for confirmation if after 9 views no answer so people not sure...
    But I believe it is clearly comment out.
    Last edited by mla; 29th May 2015, 21:36. Reason: JUST found a section with few entries without ";"
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Originally posted by mla View Post
    I got a config file with all the entry lines starting with ;
    [...]
    in suppliers doc they say it should be enabled.
    Am I wrong?

EDIT: found couple of entries without ";" . So "panic" canceled.

Should be it -comment out. Just waiting for confirmation if after 9 views no answer so people not sure... But I believe it is clearly comment out.
    REM can be used to comment out a line in some scripting languages. Your file is not a script file, therefore you mostlikely cannot use Rem to comment out a line in the file.

The part of the content that you showed is typically for INI files or, like you said a configuration file. Yes commonly you can comment out lines in an INI file by inserting a semicolon at the beginning of the line.

I cannot help you with the question if you should uncomment certain lines. It depense, but... I have not installed your systems, we cannot know where it is for and how it does affect running processes.
    Commented lines in a pre-configured INI file could be there for several reasons. They could be added just as example. Or, lines could be commented out because you have to adjust values to your environment first before you should uncomment. It could be optional does not always have to be required.
    Settings elsewhere (i.e. in the registry, xml files, ect) can sometimes take precedence over values in an INI file. This is very often the case.

If you are happy how it works for the last years why bother making changes to the config file now? If you try to solve an issue read the manual of the product to learn what needed to be adjusted in the config file. I would not start making changes to an INI file first just to see what will happen afterwards in a good way or bad.
    Last edited by Rems; 30th May 2015, 12:51.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Completely satisfied with your answer Finally I used an existing cfg file that is an exact copy of the example.
      My big confusion was about commenting. And I could not find semicolon tip on whole web...
      Thanks!

BTW, is there an option on forum "Add to reputation" as in previous forum interface?
      Last edited by mla; 30th May 2015, 15:01.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Working...
      X