Login Script

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Login Script

This is a great article on login scripts... but my questions is can I apply the login script to everyone rather than each user?

http://www.petri.com/setting-up-logo...erver-2008.htm

Re: Login Script

Do you mean assign the same script to all users? -- if so, do it through Group Policies in a domain. will give you some hints how to do this

Or do you mean customise a scripts? Use system variables like %username% which will be filled with the correct data
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

One script for all users.

Comment

I should clarify, I have specified the script in GPO under User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Logon/Logoff) > Logon but it's not running at logon for some reason.

Comment

Make sure the GPO is attached to the OU with the users in it
          Use RSoP to check if it is being applied
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Says it is... and I put it in the default domain GPO
            Attached Files

Comment

Try putting the script into the appropriate folder for the GPO (open logon scripts and select "show files"

In theory it shouldn't matter where the script file is but....

Also check in the results that the script is not being overridden by a different GPO -- OU level ones beat domain policies
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

A good practice is not to use the 'Default Domain Policy' for this. You can create a new GPO and link it to the Domain (or other level).

What is it exactly what the script should do for the users, can you show us the script?

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

That worked. Funny, that is where I had put the script before I read the article on this page and it didn't work. Does it have to be in both places? Can you explain the reason how or why this works so I can learn from it?

Comment

Hi, I am still seeking anyone who can explain if and why the script needs to be in both directories to work. Please help so that I can understand for the future.

Allen

Comment

Can you explain what you mean by "both directories"
                      It should only need to be in the "logon scripts" directory for the appropriate GPO
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        Can you explain what you mean by "both directories"
                        It should only need to be in the "logon scripts" directory for the appropriate GPO

Meaning BOTH of these (maybe it's because I have to use loopback processing??? - Just a guess)

\\LonePeak.local\SysVol\LonePeak.local\Policies\{8 62C1E9C-AE6D-4BC3-9905-A5CCE28ADF83}\User\Scripts\Logon

and:

C:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvol\LonePeak.local\scripts

Comment

I don't think you need it in the second one (thats another path to the netlogon share) if its being applied via GPO -- why not take it out of there and see if things work still
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                            I don't think you need it in the second one (thats another path to the netlogon share) if its being applied via GPO -- why not take it out of there and see if things work still
                            I did and you are exactly right. I swear it wasn't working that way before... (lol... I love computers, I am sure I had something wrong before and didn't notice).

Thanks once again! Mark this one as SOLVED.

Comment

Good -- glad its fixed!
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X