Startup VBScripts on Windows 7 using Server 2003 DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup VBScripts on Windows 7 using Server 2003 DC

I have some VBScripts, which I'd like to run as GPO startup scripts from a Windows Server 2003 domain controller.
    • They work fine as GPO Startup scripts on Windows XP Pro SP3.
    • They work fine when run manually on Windows 7 Enterprise.

But when I attempt to use them as Startup scripts on Windows 7--every "run this program" (like WSHshell.Run) type of command fails.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Sheree L. Grier
    Last edited by mesheree; 1st April 2010, 21:59.

Startup VBScripts on Windows 7 using Server 2003 DC

Any hint of an error message -- on screen, in event logs or somewhere?
    Can you post a whole script -- as a txt file or using the CODE tags?

And please follow the forum rules and do NOT double post
    Last edited by Ossian; 1st April 2010, 18:38.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Startup VBScripts on Windows 7 using Server 2003 DC

@Ossian:

• In order to answer your question, I added a "show me the error code" blurb to the script immediately after using the WShShell.Run method. I got an error code 0--of course, right?

• The entire script is lengthy, but here's the part that doesn't work:

Code:
        WshShell.Run """" & Java_Installer_Local & """ /s /v""/qn AgreeToLicense=YES REBOOT=Suppress IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 JQS=0 SYSTRAY=0 JU=0 JAVAUPDATE=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0""", 8, True

Per my log, it literally works right up until that line (it writes the installer's version number to the log, so I know it has access to it) and error code 0 is returned immediately after that line, even though it doesn't do anything.

I even changed it so that it copies the installer from the network share to the %TEMP% folder... same thing. It gets to the part where it's supposed to actually run the installer and doesn't do anything.
      Last edited by Rems; 1st April 2010, 21:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
        Please do NOT double post
        I'll merge the one in AD with this
        Well, I have no idea whether the problem is with AD, security or script. I wanted to get as many perspectives on it as possible. I don't have the ability to link this thread to multiple forums like you cool mods do...

How long does that "Moved" link last?
        Last edited by mesheree; 1st April 2010, 22:04.

Comment

Please READ and FOLLOW the forum rules http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=18
          Especially Rule 2

Moved link lasts 3 days only
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X