Script to check IE version & upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script to check IE version & upgrade

Looking for help creating a startup script that will check the IE version, and if less than 8, run a MSI that will upgrade it to 8. Windows update doesnt seem to be catching some machines, and I'd like to force them to upgrade. I already know where to find the key that tells me the IE version (HKLM/software/microsoft/internet explorer/version), just not sure how to implement it in a script. Thanks!

Re: Script to check IE version & upgrade

Wow i just found a script yesterday on EE that gave me how to search for the IE version. I used it toroll ot a critical update.

Anyway here is my code

Code:
    Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
    strValue = objShell.RegRead("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version") 
    intVersion = CInt(Left(strValue, 1)) 
    If intVersion >= 6 And intVersion < 7 Then 
    	strCommand = Chr(34) & "\\MYDOMAIN\NETLOGON\IE_Patch_XP\IE6.exe" & Chr(34) & " /quiet /norestart" 
        objShell.Run strCommand, 1, True
    	Else If intVersion >= 7 And intVersion < 8 Then 
          	strCommand = Chr(34) & "\\MYDOMAIN\NETLOGON\IE_Patch_XP\IE7.exe" & Chr(34) & " /quiet /norestart" 
            Else If intVersion >= 8 Then
            strCommand = Chr(34) & "\\MYDOMAIN\NETLOGON\IE_Patch_XP\IE8.exe" & Chr(34) & " /quiet /norestart" 
        	End If
        End if 
    End If

Comment

Re: Script to check IE version &amp; upgrade

Thanks! Works great!

Comment

Glad to help.

There probably is an easier way to do it but it works

Comment

I couldn't find a .MSI for IE8, so I used IAEK to create a custom one. Then I realized that GP will deploy MSIs without a script, so I just did it that way. Only problem is is a machine already has IE8, it will install on top of it, not a big problem though.

When making the .MSI, I made sure not to change any settings and to leave it a standard IE8 installer, just as a MSI. Then, used GP to configure all the settings for it once it had been deployed.

Comment

Working...
          X