need to disable user access to address bar in IE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to disable user access to address bar in IE

I need to disable all possibilities for generic autologon account to access internet by typing url.
    Currently the user have access to Citrix Apps from Thin client with cut down local access.
    Available Apps are: IE7 and published from Citrix.

Default home page in IE is Intranet site. The requirement is to restrict internet browsing. The only available site should be internet.
    Theoretically, the simplest thing will be to remove Address bar from IE. I found some info how to make it but it is a bit problematic.

I think that another option will be to redirect all internet requests to localhost.

May be scripting may help to accomplish the request.

Thanks,
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: need to disable user access to address bar in IE

Michael -

You can acheive by setting up a fake proxy in IE7.

Tools, Internet Options, Lan Settings
    Check the box under Proxy and then Advanced

For HTTP proxy you can enter localhost port 80

And now you can enter any website you allow them to visit in the bypass proxy section.

Hobie

Comment

Hobie,
      this is a good idea, but there are intranet docs with links to internet sites.
      So they will become unaccessible.

Thank you.
      Michael.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Have you tried the Microsoft way?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944816

----
        In Internet Explorer 7, you can use the "NoNavBar" registry value to disable the Address bar.

For a “Per User” setting, the value is located in the following key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

Value name: NoNavBar
        Value Type: DWORD
        Data: 0x00000001

For a “Per Machine” setting, the value is located in the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]

Value name: NoNavBar
        Value Type: DWORD
        Data: 0x00000001
        ----

Hobie

Comment

Hobie,
          I will try your tip Monday.
          The only way I found was a solution where a person says that they opened a support call with Microsoft and they provided some patch called "Folder..." (I have exact name in the Favorites at work). But it's not published. And the blog is pretty long with people trying to disable address bar.
          Suddenly, you provide a simple KB from Microsoft .

BTW, now I got oposite request for another bunch of THINs. In the first case the request was to enable only intranet site. Now I need to enable one internet site only.

So the best solution will be just to disable address bar. I probably will create the image for iternet one site only machines even without joining them to domain.

Thank you very much. I will let you know the result.

Michael.

Comment

Hi Hobie.

First thing I tried your suggestion. Address bar disappeared. But all the buttons gone too... So it is really NoNav - no address bar and no navigation.

For the project where I need only two external sites it is fine because the link is reffered to Polling form and each page include Continue or Previous buttons.

Finally for this project I forced Full screen and disabled F11 in local GPO. Autologon user even not connects to the domain and is a local user. So, I finish today 30 clients.

Next, I have to create a client with access to Intranet site only. And the address bar issue comes back again. Because by doing NoNav in registry I am loosing navigation buttons. So now it is clear for me why this is really not easy and tens of people discussed the issue. But one person told that opened the case with MS and they gave him some special download that contained buttons.
            Basically that's why I thought that may be some script can do the job and posted my initial question on Scripting.
            I will continue my search...

Regards,
            Michael.

Comment

Michael -

Probably not the best way, but you could use a simply frame web style and the top would be basic buttons / site list they are allowed to visit and the bottom would be the actual site.

The other option is to create a support message with microsoft. I have received "special" updates before to enable features for software not available to the public for whatever reason.

Hobie

Comment

Working...
              X