Rename Machine based on Serial Number

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rename Machine based on Serial Number

Would it be possible for someone to modify this script that was posted here:
    http://forums.petri.com/archive/index.php/t-24708.html

So that the text document that's parsed for the machine specific information to use the systems serial number instead of ip address? I'm sysprepping machines and deploying images, and i manually join machines to the domain and it's very tiresome. I can either have the machine name change it's hostname to the serial number if that helps otherwise could the vbs script query the objWMIClass.IdentifyingNumber and find that value in the text file with all of the new machine names? Whichever is easier I can do, I just can't write the code to get a script to find a serial number in a text document and then rename the machine accordingly.

***IF*** someone is feeling obscenely generous it would be wonderful if I could get help finding or if someone could come up with a script, that grabs a text file, finds the systems serial number in it, renames the machine accordingly, assigns values to autologin, copy a netdom join batch file to the runonce reg value and then reboot. I can probably handle all that extra stuff, but right now, if only i could find a script to query for the systems serial and then rename accordingly i can setup my text docs anyway that's easiest for whomever that might want to help.

All I have is a text doc, or spreadsheet with 2 columns of serial number and machine names, so i can make them comma, tab, delimited, or like i said, i can have the computer name itself to the system serial number if that makes the script writing easier. Also i'm not looking to do the last part of that request, the computer names really have no rhyme or reason, they aren't based off of any type of computer specific information. I just use the serial numbers to keep track of the machines, other than that the names are arbitrary.

Thank You in advance for anyone that might want to help.

Matt

Re: Rename Machine based on Serial Number

Okay well i've been working on it so much I got it working, incase anyone is curious how to rename a machine based on the serial number using a text file i can provide code.

Also if anyone wants to know how to sysprep a machine, autologon into the system rename script and then have the machine reboot and automatically join the domain and reboot again. So that no extra user intervention is required after imaging a machine just holler

Comment

I'm definitely interested in how you renamed the computer the serial #. I'm not so much interested in the text file part. i just want to rename the computer (which is on the domain) the serial #.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tommyk203 View Post
        I'm definitely interested in how you renamed the computer the serial #.
        Take a look at these two MSDN articles about renaming the computer and its account.

-vP

Comment

Rename Machine based on Serial Number

I tend to agree with yardbyrd. If it has a serial number I would treat it like a class ring with the name and school on it. We should always try to return it to the owner if possible first, then go from there. If you cant track them down or it is unreadable, then you treat it like an unidentifiable ring.

Either way, it is kinda cool to know they have the technology to do that now.

Comment

Working...
          X