No announcement yet.

WMI Win32_PerfFormattedData query returns all zeros

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMI Win32_PerfFormattedData query returns all zeros

I am trying to use a WMI query to collect physical disk performance data for several Windows 2003 servers. The query, however, is returning zeros for all of the counter values.

In order to test my query before I put it into script form, I am using 2 utilities: Ben Coleman's WMI Query Tool, and Paessler's WMI Tester. Using root\CIMV2, I enter the follwoing query:

"SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_PhysicalDisk."

Each tool returns a table with all of the individual counters, but the values listed in that table are 0 for every counter. (except PercentIdleTime which shows 100)
    When I run "SELECT * FROM Win32_PerfRawData_PerfDisk_PhysicalDisk," the resulting table contains large data values.

From the research I've done, it appears that the PerfFormattedData uses the PerfRawData and is the same formatted data that is displayed when you use PerfMon. If I start PerfMon on the target server and add any of the Physical Disk counters, they show actual data. Yet my WMI queries only return zeros.

Am I missing something in my query? Or are my servers missing a WMI provider?

Re: WMI Win32_PerfFormattedData query returns all zeros

Ok, chalk this one up to being a WMI newbie. I just went back and looked at the data that my monitoring program collected overnight, and it did indeed record some data in these counters. The counters returned non-zero results during last night's backup. So it appears the queries are working.

I am executing the query every 30 seconds. Apparently there just isn't any appreciable disk activity at the points in time that I am executing these queries. I just thought it peculiar that EVERY byte counter would return 0 at the same time on what I thought was a "busy" server.