Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Appications From a web browser

Hello,

we have been told by the goverment that we need to run an electronic register at our college. is it possible for the teachers to logon like normal and goto our intranet and clicking on say - "register" and it would open the software but not actually installing it on to the pc?

it would be for windows pc's only no macs.
    windows server 2003 - around 5
    1 xserve
    see what im trying to do?

Macman.

Re: Running Appications From a web browser

Citrix ?

you could make tre application dot-net based, thne it's just a web app, not an installable app ?

Without some more information on what th eregister application does, how it works etc, I coulnd't provide much more
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      Citrix ?

you could make tre application dot-net based, thne it's just a web app, not an installable app ?

Without some more information on what th eregister application does, how it works etc, I coulnd't provide much more
      hi,

the register is a true EXE install to pcs, its runs off an database which only teachers can access

how do i make it .net based ?

Comment

You'd need access to the source code and permission from the developers to modify it.

If you don't want to install the software on each computer, install it on a Terminal Server.

This suggestion is based on the information you've provided - that it is a program that requires installation, rather than one you can just run without installing.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Terminal Services 2008 on Windows Server 2008 offers something called Web Access that allows for the delivery of a application through a web browser. It also allows for the delivery of applications that are run on the Terminal Server but look just like they're running on the local machine. You may want to look into that. I think Citrix licensing can be a bit more expensive than Terminal Services.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

we only have the moment have server 2003, the college isnt looking into upgrading thne network becuase money needs to be spent else where could i do it on 2003 ?

macman

Comment

Do you have a terminal server? Or a spare server and licence you could use to setup a TS? For security reasons, it's not recommended to install TS on a server hosting other services.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yeah we have got some old servers and some licsences- does it have to be 2008 ? - we could set that up

Comment

It can be 2000, 2003 or 2008 - whatever the application supports. 2008 would give you the extra features which have been mentioned, but 2003 will be fine. User will either connect using the RDP client mstsc, or through IE at http://server/tsweb - they will have a full interactive session on the server.

The benefit of the additional features offered by 2008 is that rather than logging into a session on the server, the GUI of the app is displayed as if it were running on the local machine.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

oh okay thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X