how to extract security group data from NTFS permissions by server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to extract security group data from NTFS permissions by server

i need a vbscript to extract security data from NTFS permission by server.
    Is it is possible to get data from NTFS permisson by server ? if so how?,i am new to AD and i know only vbscript, it will be better if anyone gives me the code with explaination

i need as soon as possible

Thanks
    vivek

Re: how to extract security group data from NTFS permissions by server

Are you talking about folder permissions? or AD members and the groups they are a part of?
    GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

i know about the folder permission, The follwing are my exceptation to write vbscript code, Write a VB script to extract security group data from NTFS permissions by server and nested groups in Active Directory.

just give me an outline code how to proceed with this.

if both are different context explain me both the context with example.......

thanks
      vivekmohan

Comment

The word "please" would go down quite well somewhere here...

To re-word stamandster's question:
        Are you wanting to list NTFS permissions applied to folders?
        Or are you wanting to list membership of security groups?
        Or are you wanting something different. If so, explain what, giving us an example of the output you would hope to get.

Thread moved to scripting forum as most appropriate place.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

what i acutally need ,

i want to know that wheather its possible to do NTFS permission for server,or NTFS is apllied only to the files and folder , if its applicable to server then it is mean that applying to all the files and folder that belongs to the particular server.

if any thing wrong correct me as i am new to this vbscript and AD

Comment

NTFS permissions are only applied to files and folders as they are just the New Technology File System permissions.

Have a read at this to understand file permissions.

Comment

I am also looking for a tool that will tell me where security groups are applied. I have inherited a system with group names that are not well named and where they are used is not obvious.

Comment

Working...
              X