Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote software install with local admin

Hi All,

first post here and hopefully someone can help me out , i have to install a small piece of software onto about 300 machines , but none of them are on the domain and are scattered around the country ..so visiting each machine is a bit of a nightmare ..

im wondering if someone can guide me through how to build up a package where i can install the software with local admin rights ...

i can host it on a private site and gert them to download the package and install it from there

im no good with scripting at all , but im more than willing to persivere and start writing my first scripts to get this done..

ive downloaded a few apps for the runas etc... but just unsure how to package them all together so the user has no interaction on the install

any help would be great

paddi

Re: remote software install with local admin

This is just a thought: You could package it as an msi, make it so that it installs quiet (no prompts to the user; all unattended) and then use psexec.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
      This is just a thought: You could package it as an msi, make it so that it installs quiet (no prompts to the user; all unattended) and then use psexec.
      Agreed, I first thought of trying to use WMI but that is far too complex to work properly and as far as I know requires a domain to pass the proper credentials to the remote computer.

Originally posted by paddi
      ive downloaded a few apps for the runas etc... but just unsure how to package them all together so the user has no interaction on the install

any help would be great
      Following Nonapeptide's solution, something like http: //www.scalable.com/WinINSTALL_LE. aspx could allow you package an executable as an .msi file, if you don't already have an MSI of the software.

After that, you could use psexec to do something like "c:\psexec -u adminuser -p yourpassword @hosts.txt -d msiexec /i "\\yourserver\package.msi" /qn where adminuser is your administrator user name, yourpassword is the administrator password, hosts.txt is a list of the computer names you want to install on and \\yourserver\package.msi is the location of the package.

This requires some things on your end, namely, that the administrator username and password is the same on every machine, and that you know all the computer names you are installing to.

Just out of personal curiosity, why did you choose to not have a domain if there are over 300 machines?

Thanks to these guys for refreshing my memory on the psexec syntax.
      Last edited by eramnes; 23rd April 2009, 00:55. Reason: Grammar and typos
      Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

hi ,

i've only just joined the company (a charity) and they have loads of remote places, houses, flats etc... in the community so i think its been built on an ad hoc basis and never really looked at , they all have a VPN on the routers to the office but none of them are on the domain and they dont want them authenticating to the domain either... that and the fact some have firewalls turned on and some they are not sure of the admin password etc...

but ive to do an audit of software on them and without visiting the sites personally this is my only way i can think of to do it ...

so i need to script something to allow me to runas admin with the password on the local machine then install the audit client and get them to mail me back the .inv file

i was thinking of the .Msi route but i still need to be able to run it as local admin !!!!!!

i'm trying to get them to change all this , but you know what the old gaurd are like ha ha ha

i do have a bit of a task ahead i think, maybe im trying to hard and this is easier than i think , so sorry if i am lol

paddi
        Last edited by paddi; 23rd April 2009, 09:53. Reason: forgot something

Comment

A cheap-n-easy way to list all installed software is to run msinfo32 on each machine. It needs admin privs of course (I din't think you can list software without admin privs =( ) but is built-in to Windows and also coughs up a ton of other info that should be useful. Go to the run-box and type msinfo32 /? to get a list of switches and possible uses. You could have people simply run a .bat file (that you make and send to them) that calls msinfo32 with some useful switches and saves it to a specific folder on each computer and then have people send it back to you.

Of course, it would really be nice to get all machines to have a standard admin account / password. Of course, once that's done you could standardize things further and make a mock-up of a domain just using psexec. Want to make a change to everyone's firewall? Make a script that determines what OS version is running, if the firewall is running or not and then perform the proper commands based on those conditions. You'd learn how to script in a hurry.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

hi Non,

thanks for that , this might actually be an easier way to do it , will try tomorrow when im back in on my own machine and see what it brings up regards to software !!! , i think they have a meeting with FACT coming up and need licence info to show them ...

i'm defo going to get scripting seen so many posts about different stuff and makes life so easy well easier lol

cheers again

i'll let you all know how it goes

paddi

Comment

Working...
            X