Copy Old Profile to New machine Via Script

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy Old Profile to New machine Via Script

Is thier any way to make a script that will create a folder for a AD user under C:\Documents and Settings and then copy the profile from a given path and put it in the new folder that was just created. I would like to do this without having to log the user in that way i dont have to reset their password. for example if i were to setup a new pc for someone and wanted to copy all their profile i would have to reset their password log in as them log out log in as admin and copy their info. The biggest thing i want to do is to create their profile without loggin in using a script.
    MCSE 2000\2003, A+
    00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

hi

there are three ways that i know to copy user profile in windows xp for instance.

1. by using system in control panel http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...e1fae3c7c.mspx
    2. by using usmt in its GUI shape
    3. by using usmt in its command line shape. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...e1fae3c7c.mspx

the scanstate and loadstate can be used in a script to copy the user profile. but it can be run only from the profile that is about to be copied itself. the scanstate can only be run by user with administrator level privileges
    Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
    HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
    the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

The user cannot copy\overwrite their own profile when they have logged on.

Why not use roaming profiles ? This is the exact scenario they were built for !!!

topper
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

i dont agree with you cause user can run usmt or scanstate from its own profile
        Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
        HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
        the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

ok i think my post may have been confusion but what i really would like to know is how do i create a folder under documents and settings for an account in AD without loggin in as the user. If i just create a regular folder when the user logs in it will just create another one like username.domain(1) ect.
          MCSE 2000\2003, A+
          00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

Originally posted by pcking999
            ok i think my post may have been confusion but what i really would like to know is how do i create a folder under documents and settings for an account in AD without loggin in as the user. If i just create a regular folder when the user logs in it will just create another one like username.domain(1) ect.

If you create one folder with the same name as the username the system will create another folder with the name "username + domain" because you have allready one on that machine with that name. If that folder have one corrupted profile you will have login problems so you must delete or rename that folder for the system create another.
            MCSE w2k
            MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
            MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Working...
            X