Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automate outlook 2007 profiles

Dear friends
    i need your help in this issue . i'm trying to prepare a script to fully automate making some tasks i make for each user when he/she first logon to a machine

1- redirect for the my document folder ( i solved it by modifying some registry keys using VBS )

2- create some shortcuts ( solved also by vbs )

3- adjust the mail account the user will use . and this is my problem .we use outlook 2007 i will need to use the user mail and unchecked the cashed mode , we use exchange 2003

so is there any way to make it fully automated when the user logon the profile will be done automatically that's what i mean

Re: automate outlook 2007 profiles

Certainly for 1 and 2, Group Policy would seem to be a far nicer solution. Presumably you're running in a domain environment?

As for #3, yes it most likely is possible to write a script to tweak the behaviour of Outlook.

While there are a few quirks, Outlook 2007 works fine with Exchange 03. The main problems occur when a user switches between Outlook 07 and 03.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yes as you said for 1 & 2 we can use a group policy ( i use 2003 domain ) but i wanted to make it using VBS for these things

so any idea about preparing the outlook account ???

Comment

I do believe that the Outlook ADM will allow you to do what you want.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

the link you sent is amazing in the same time it uses the group policy settings .

is there any way to use VBS to do these things

Comment

Why do you want to use scripts when everything you want to do can be done using policies or in the case of Outlook a custom installation?
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by mohtaw View Post
              the link you sent is amazing in the same time it uses the group policy settings .

is there any way to use VBS to do these things
              create a PRF file for deployment. Use environment variable %username% in the settings.
              (see link to the MS whitepaper provided in this similar post)

Use a logon script to load the PRF, to apply the new profile settings.
              The two examples below are in pseudo script language (can be translated to vbs code or batch code),

1) Load PRF only once script:
              Code:
              Define variable: newPRFileName = ###.PRF
              Define variable: SourceFolder = \\server\share

If not exist "%userprofile%\%newPRFileName%"
              or, If "%userprofile%\%newPRFileName%" is older then "%SourceFolder%\%newPRFileName%"

Then...
                1. copy "%newPRFileName%" from "%SourceFolder%" to "%userprofile%\*.*"
                2. Define outlookpath - by reading the value of the AppPath entry in 
                   HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe\...
                3. Add the command line "%outlookpath%\OUTLOOK.EXE" /importprf "%userprofile%\%newPRFileName%" to
                   the user's RUNONCE key (add this key if not exist),
                   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\...
                   (You can prefix a RunOnce value-name with an exclamation point (!) to defer deletion of the
                    value until after the command runs).

Else...
                  nothing to change, setting were already configured for the user.

End If
              OR,
              2) If you want to enforce mandatory profile settings, you could possibly try this for a logonscript:
              Code:
              comment: This code add switches to the OUTLOOK Desktop Icon only (note, so parameters applied only when outlook is started by clicking the desktop icon. You might also have to adjust the quick launch button parameters for the user!)

1. Define outlookpath - by reading the value of the AppPath entry in 
                  HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\outlook.exe\...
              2. Edit the default value in the folowing registry key
                 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CLSID\{00020D75-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Shell\Open\Command\
                 value = REG_SZ: "%outlookpath%\OUTLOOK.EXE" /importprf "\\server\share\###.PRF"
              \Rems

EDIT-
              Or,
              you could also check this Profman library out,
              - http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/home.htm
              - http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...72&postcount=9

_
              Last edited by Rems; 8th January 2009, 00:48.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
              X