Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2003 - Change Exchange server name with script

Hi!!
    I need some advice... Our users can't use Outlook 2003 client since Exchange server name was changed. To fix this problem user need went to Control Panel >> Mail >> Email accounts >> View or change existing email accounts >> Change >> Microsoft Exchange Server: (write appropriate name here). The question if it possible some how automate this task with script or registry hack?
    I found where this information stored in registry after user change the name of Exchange Server:
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Default Outlook Profile\13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a
    But I believe, that key 13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a is unique for each user... so I can't create registry hack that match for all user. So, any advice will be appreciated.

Re: Outlook 2003 - Change Exchange server name with script

How did you change the Exchange server name?

Have you checked the HomeMBD property on the user accounts? Is it correct?

The Res Kit can be used to create a profile for all users that logon but would be good to know the background first.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

read this :

http://davedolan.com/blog/2008/04/16...-a-new-server/
      Last edited by largo; 23rd November 2008, 17:26. Reason: fix
      Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.
      Please give reputation points where appropriate.

Comment

I didn't change Exchange server name and I'm not an Exchange admin. I just noticed, that user can't use Outlook 2003 client on computers (we have multiply computer bullpen, so users can log on anywhere) because wrong Exchange Server name set in their mail account on each computer (may be it is just old Exchange Server and now users mailboxes moved to new one). For fix this problem I point users to change the Exchange Server name manually as I explained it in my first post (instead of Exchange501.litware.com need to write Exchange701.litware.com). My question is, if it is possible to make those changes via some script or registry hack.
        Thank you in advance,
        Igor.

Comment

I use a little util called RichProfile for exactly this type of situation.
          If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

igor7 i don't understand the question in the second time ,

you ask for a script to change the server name in outlook

did you read the post in the link i posted ??

http://davedolan.com/blog/2008/04/16...-a-new-server/
            Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.
            Please give reputation points where appropriate.

Comment

As already suggested, you should use a prf file for this http://office.microsoft.com/download...3#_Toc67459288
              The .prf file contains the name of the new Exchange server and the %UserName% variable

alternatively, you can add the old server name (if there is no other server using that name) as an alias for the new server in your dns.

or, do both.

Editing profiles in the registry (scripting) is not supported by MS, but the script that largo showed looks fine and might work.

\Rems

Similar post,
              http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...645#post141645

Last edited by Rems; 6th January 2009, 11:33.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

First of all, thanks everybody for help!! largo, I skipped some how you first post (may be because I looking for script code and didn’t see really helpful post ), but this is exactly what I searching for!! I didn’t test it yet but I pretty sure that it should work. Yesterday I took advantage of this problem and found that the key 13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a is not unique for each user, vice versa. - It same for all users. So, from here my job was easy. We have same problem like you explained. On computer, where users never log on (and make log on first time) everything work properly. This means that we don’t have recreate .prf file. We just need repoint users, who already have email account configured on local computers to different mail server.
                And finally I found solution. First of all I used script that read appropriate value from registry on computer, where users don’t have problem with Outlook 2003 client. This is a script code:
                Code:
                '------------------------------–
                'Script for reading registry value.vbs
                'Author: igor7
                Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
                strComputer = "."

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _
                strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Default Outlook Profile\13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a"
                strValueName = "001e6612"
                oReg.GetStringValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValueName,strValue
                Wscript.Echo "Proper value is: " & strValue 

Then I used another script that adds new value to the registry on computer where users have problem. This is script code:

Code:
                ' Script Repoint users exchange profile to use different mail server.vbs
                'Author: igor7
                 Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
                strComputer = "."
                Set objRegistry = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
                strKeyPath = "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Default Outlook Profile\13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb000aa002fc45a"
                strValueName = "001e6612"
                strValue = "/O=Company/OU=East/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=EXC701"
                objRegistry.SetStringValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER, strKeyPath, strValueName, strValue
                WScript.Echo "Exchange Server name was set. Now, you can run Outlook 2003 client on you computer!"

That’s it! Changing just one subkey did the job!! After running this script, users start their
                Outlook 2003 client successfully and I found that additional appropriate registry subkey are created automatically! Thanks one more time to everybody for help!
                Last edited by igor7; 24th November 2008, 08:45.

Comment

Working...
                X