Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user link to a computer

Hi!

Is there a way to script automatic link between user and computer (W2003 AD). Ideally script should write to user object (some attribute) a computer name. Logon script can be used. Maybe there should be some checks too.

When user logs to computer -> script writes to AD the computer name.

Or is there already solution for this.

The real problem is that we have an Excel sheet where the mappings are but no one is updating the list

Thanks for advance

Kone

Re: user link to a computer

what are you trying to do

set what computer a user can use or work out what computer a user usually uses

make a logon script that emails you the hostname and username?

Comment

If getting a record of logons would be sufficient, then geekchick101's suggestion is valid - something like bmail called from a logon script could easily do this, and it saves you having to trawl through audit logs. On the other hand, it still requires someobody to manually be updating whatever records you use.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Kone View Post
        When user logs to computer -> script writes to AD the computer name.
        FYI
        In order to make this possible you'll have to delegate permissions on the objects.

Here is a similar thread where the user's SAMAccount name and the client IPaddress is added to the description attribute of the Computer Object in the Active Directory by "Creating a custom task to delegate".
        http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...874#post106874

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by geekchick101 View Post
          what are you trying to do
          Ill try to explain better (sorry for my language skills).

I would like to have a script which writes, for example, to users description the workstations name where the user is logged to. There should be some logic where value is written only when user have logged to same workstation 5 times.

We use software distribution to computers and its difficult to track what software users have.

I hope this help.

Comment

Perhaps a better question would be to ask WHY do you want to know if a user has logged onto a PC 5 times or more? Also, what does this have to do with finding out what software is on what PC? There are other ways to do that (e.g. install Spiceworks and scan the network).
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hmm, how could I explain this.

User logs to ws 1st - 4th time -> this is written to txt-file.
              When (s)he logs 5th time -> data is written to AD.

Rems link seems to be almoust what I want.

Comment

Working...
              X