What should I learn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I learn

Ok I need some suggestions for what programming language I should look into learning. I use to program in Pascal and C a long long time ago. So basically I have forgotten everything. I am working as a Systems / Network Administrator for a company. I would really like to get into enhancing my skills by either learning some good scripting language or a picking up programming again. I do plan on leaning some programming later on whether it be Python or C ++ since I am very much into FOSS and would like to contribute to some worthy software. As of now I just would like to enhance my skills as a Systems / Network Admin.

Re: What should I learn

Learn PowerShell to enhance your current admin skills.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

and VBscripting
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by rever75 View Post
        Ok I need some suggestions for what programming language I should look into learning. I use to program in Pascal and C a long long time ago. So basically I have forgotten everything. I am working as a Systems / Network Administrator for a company. I would really like to get into enhancing my skills by either learning some good scripting language or a picking up programming again. I do plan on leaning some programming later on whether it be Python or C ++ since I am very much into FOSS and would like to contribute to some worthy software. As of now I just would like to enhance my skills as a Systems / Network Admin.
        It depends on what systems you are managing. Windows machines will always be partial to VBScript and now PowerShell. For *nix based systems (which is most non-Windows machines) PERL seemed to be the standard. It used to be the de facto admin language and was at one time called the Duct Tape of the Internet. I've heard alot of admins nowadays sing the praises of Python and Ruby as admin languages (particularly Brian K. Jones whose blog I would strongly recommend if you want to get into administrative scripting / programming). Read this article as well as the comments for a glimpse into the topic. Shell scripting in the shell of your choice is also a necessary skill.

So, the question remains, what OS are you primarily concerned with?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

you can try Python, whether for system administration or for general programming. Its easy to learn and easy to read syntax.

Comment

I think I will start out messing around with VBScript first then move to Powershell. My shop is mostly Windows based with a scattering of *nix in the mix. I am pretty good with Bash Shell scripting and will look in to Python and Perl after my primary focus of Windows Scripting. Any good book recomendations, websites (Thanks Nonapeptide) or other learning tools. When I set my mind to something I am usually very persisitent to get things accomplished.

Comment

I think I will start out messing around with VBScript first then move to Powershell. My shop is mostly Windows based with a scattering of *nix in the mix. I am pretty good with Bash Shell scripting and will look in to Python and Perl after my primary focus of Windows Scripting. Any good book recomendations, websites (Thanks Nonapeptide) or other learning tools. When I set my mind to something I am usually very persisitent to get things accomplished.
              For Windows scripting, not much will ever beat Microsoft's Script Center, the home of The Scripting Guys. If you spend a few months crawling through their site you'll have it all figured out. I also have this book, but can't quite recommend it since I haven't read it yet. I did, however, skim through it and it seems to go at a good pace. It starts slow and gradually gets more complex. I prefer to pick a task to do and then try to glue together a solution via what I learn from Google and forums like this. It might not be pretty, but the info sticks in my brain better.

Apparently you can use Python on Windows and even the Microsoft Script Center has an area which addresses that. There's also an area on the Script Center that addresses other scripting languages.

EDIT: You may also want to look into offerings from Sapien Software's PrimalScript product line: http://www.sapien.com/
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I think I will start out messing around with VBScript first then move to Powershell.
                good to know, but not a cross platform language. Also lack features, such as associative arrays etc. Why not learn a cross platform language like Python that can do more than what vbscript /powershell can provide?

My shop is mostly Windows based with a scattering of *nix in the mix. I am pretty good with Bash Shell scripting and will look in to Python and Perl after my primary focus of Windows Scripting.
                Python can be used to do Windows scripting. If you need AD/WMI capabilities, there are also modules for that. telnet? ftp? all can be done with Python. Forget about Perl, as Python is equivalent to Perl but code easier to read and understand. Just $0.02

Comment

Working...
                X