Microsoft shell - the next generation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft shell - the next generation

Have stumbled upon some references to the new Microsoft's shell and decided to give it a test run.

The shell is called "MSH" (codename Monad) and I am still trying to figure out whether it's actually worth anything.
    You might want to take a look at my bashing about it over here:
    http://guy.netguru.co.il/archives/6-...ame-Monad.html

One thing I can promise to anyone who will try to run it: if you have never dealt with Unix shells, you will be confused
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

I'm not sure what to make of it. I guess the main point is that MSH is highly extendable and programmable, consistently and with full access to the underlying .NET framework. But how useful is that? 99% of the sysadmins will never want to program that deeply. The unix model is much simpler, en hence more useful. That's what I think now, but I'm ready to be convinced otherwise.

Comment

Indeed. I would say that piping objects in the shell is not exactly what sysadmins are looking for.
      It actually starts to look as a fully blown programming language.Consider:
      Code:
      $results = ping 10.0.0.1
      write-host $results[4].ToString()
      I say: never let programmer decide about things sysadmins will use !

Now only if someone could port BASH to Windows and bring in some consistancy to the command's switches, I would be all set.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Well you need to remember that Microsoft is killing off support for VB6 March 31. At that time no updates will be provided for VB6, VBScript, or VBA. MSH is being offered up a solution (replacement) for VBScript which works well but has out lived its shelf life.

In my opinion I think its great. We're being offered the flexablitiy of a programming langugue like .NET (which I'm quite fond of) in something as simple as a batch file.

Thats my take.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Well you need to remember that Microsoft is killing off support for VB6 March 31. At that time no updates will be provided for VB6, VBScript, or VBA
          Support of vbscript is to be ended? I would be very much surprised. It has little to do with VB6 or VBA, but is part of the WSH offering. Do you have a link?

Comment

Based on MS's definition of the product family and VBScript being loosly based on VB6 it is my prediction that it also will soon receive the proverbial axe.

Hence the effort with MSH and its overlapping functionality.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/support/vb6.aspx
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the link! I'm not convinced about the vbscript thing. VBS is a core part of the OS, and will be for the ages, just like batch. We'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
                Thanks for the link! I'm not convinced about the vbscript thing. VBS is a core part of the OS, and will be for the ages, just like batch. We'll see...
                I agree to some degree but MS doesn't always what would seem logical. MS scripting host is all that's required to use VBScript.
                Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Guy (Antid0t)
                  I say: never let programmer decide about things sysadmins will use !
                  The phrase that goes with that would be "Don't raise the programmer-wanna-be-sysadmin a level up towards the sysadmin." Use a 12-gauge shotgun on the foot instead, its cleaner and less painful and easier to diagnose the problem!

Comment

Working...
                  X