Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting user profiles - once more for King George

Hello all.

I know this topic has been posted before (I have used the search), but none of the topics have done exactly what I would like to do. All computers are Windows XP SP2 in a domain which I have read-only access to.

What I want to do is delete user profiles which are older that 14 days. Profile names consist of UDC and then 4 or 5 digits, e.g. UDC1234 or UDC12345. Delprof /q /i /d:14 would do the trick, but a test run showed that this command also deletes the Administrator, default user and all users folder, which I want to keep. How can I be sure that certain folders will not be deleted when I run delprof? Is it as simple as delprof /q /i /d:14 UDC*?

I have read about the touch command at http://www.ss64.com/nt/touch.html, but another test showed that this command could not be recognized. This would possibly help, but do I need to download some software before this command is known?

There's also the question of when to delete the profiles. To avoid excessively long logon times, I would like to delete the profiles during startup of the machine. I suppose that means either autoexec.bat or autoexec.nt, unless a better solution is available?

Alternatively, a bat file could be constructed, so that I could carry it with me on a floppydisk or usbdrive and then run the bat file during preparation for imaging the machine.
    Last edited by slmadsen; 27th May 2008, 10:56. Reason: Typos and linkfix

Re: Deleting user profiles - once more for King George

You can use Forfiles to find folders older than 14 days.
    then use Findstr /r to match a foldername pattern.
    Finally use RD with the switches /S /Q to delete the folders from the computer.

Make the batch a computer startup script.

'Forfiles' does not ship with Windows XP.
    There exist different versions of ForFiles! The one you can download as a Windows 2000 Resource Kit tool from the internet, uses a different command line syntax than the version that is installed with Windows Server 2003.
    http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...90&postcount=2

The batch below works only for the 'Forfiles' version that ships with Windows Server 2003. You can copy that file to a networkshare, and use "unc-Path\forfiles.exe".... in the batch.

The batch is written to run on Windows XP only
    Code:
    :: this sample -
    :: find folders where of the name starts with UDC followed by at least 4 digits

@echo off

:: This batch removes only certain userprofile folders from the local computer.
    :: (where "Target" is the 'Documents and Settings' folder)
    :: The batch find the folders if the foldername matches a defined pattern
    :: and will only delete that folder if it is n "daysold" or older

(Set userprofiles=%AllUsersProfile:~0,-10%)

Set "Target=%userprofiles%"  you can also harcode a local-path here

Set "_RunCMD=ECHO @Path /S /Q"  replace ECHO with RD for acually removing of the userfolders

Set "daysold=15"
    Set "namepattern=\^<.UDC[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]"   http://www.ss64.com/nt/findstr.html
    ::
    ::Remark about the reguler expression ("namepattern") above
    :: the ^ is just needed to escape the sign that comes next which is normally a redirect sign to dos.
    :: the dot in front of the 'first characters of the name' is needed for the 'forfiles' loop later on. Because 'forfiles' add quotes around the found foldername.

If Exist "%Target%" (
    forfiles /p "%Target%" /d -%daysold% /c "%comspec% /c IF @isdir==TRUE ([email protected] |Findstr /i /r \"%namepattern%\")>nul &&(%_RunCMD%)"
    )

::Remark about the \ signs that are used in the string for Findstr.
    :: because the entire command after the /c switch must be between quotes,
    :: the \ sign is needed to escape the two quotes that are within quotes.

rem Pause
    test test test the batch before making it a startup script!

\Rems
    Last edited by Rems; 27th May 2008, 21:12. Reason: added the colors

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
    X