Script to add fonts to XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script to add fonts to XP

Stole, borrowed and modified the following script to copy fonts to an XP SP2 PC running Office 2007. The script copies the fonts from and to the correct locations mentioned and adds the appropriate entries to the appropriate Registry Key. Fonts can be double clicked on in the Fonts folder and they display correctly.

Problem is that they do NOT appear in the font pull down menu in Office (Word, Excel or PowerPoint). For this to happen (using this script), the PC has to be rebooted and logged on with an Administrator account. (Logging off and back on with an Admin account doesn't work) After the reboot and logon, you can logoff and then back on using a User account and the fonts are available in Office.

Is there any way to modify this script so the Admin account reboot part is not necessary and the fonts will be available without it?

Code:
    dim wsh,fso,fontfolder,destination
    set wsh=wscript.createobject("wscript.shell")
    set fso=wscript.createobject("scripting.filesystemobject")

fontfolder = "\\server\netlogon\fonts\"
    destination = "c:\windows\fonts\"

wsh.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\Vic Cursive with Line (TrueType)", "VicCurLine.ttf"
    wsh.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\Vic Dot with Line (TrueType)", "VicDotLine.ttf"
    wsh.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\Vic Modern Cursive (TrueType)", "VicModCur.ttf"
    wsh.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\Vic Speed Loop (TrueType)", "VicSpeed.ttf"
    wsh.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\Vic Cursive Dottted (TrueType)", "vmc_dot.ttf"
    wsh.regwrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\Vic Mod Cur Joined Normal (TrueType)", "vmc_join.ttf"

'wscript.echo fontfolder & "VicCurLine.ttf" & destination
    fso.copyfile fontfolder & "VicCurLine.ttf", destination
    fso.copyfile fontfolder & "VicDotLine.ttf", destination 
    fso.copyfile fontfolder & "VicModCur.ttf", destination 
    fso.copyfile fontfolder & "VicSpeed.ttf", destination 
    fso.copyfile fontfolder & "vmc_dot.ttf", destination 
    fso.copyfile fontfolder & "vmc_join.ttf", destination
    Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Script to add fonts to XP

This is because the GUI also sends a notification message to the shell to refresh the font cache.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...8/hey0425.mspx
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Re: Script to add fonts to XP

Biggles77's script can work too.
      It is the fact that normal users are not allowed to edit HKLM\ and to edit windowsfolders. Therefor you can't run your script as logon script, you must run it as computer startup script.
      And one other thing is the variable name wsh you are using for the object wscript.Shell. WSH is a reserved name for "wscript" you can not use that name for something else. (replace all instance of that name in your script to objWshShell, and run the script during start up and it should work)

I used this method once, but not by using vbscript. I snapshot a fresh install of Windows. Then installed all True Type and type1 fonts on the computer. With a second snapshot afterwards I was able to create a msi installation package.

If you want to install only a few sets of fonts, the solution Guy did linked to is much easier (this script can also used for installing type1 fonts - then copyhere the *.pfm files while the pre-generated *.PFB must be present in the source folder).

note: This script must also run as Startup script.
      Code:
      Const FONTS = &H14&

fontpath = "\\server\netlogon\fonts"

arrFonts = ARRAY(_
         "VicCurLine.ttf", _
         "VicDotLine.ttf", _
         "VicModCur.ttf", _ 
         "VicSpeed.ttf", _ 
         "vmc_dot.ttf", _ 
         "vmc_join.ttf" )

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(FONTS)
      Set objFolderItem = objFolder.Self
      sDestinationPath = objFolderItem.path

Set objFileSystem = CreateObject("Scripting.fileSystemObject")

For i=0 to UBound(arrFonts)

strSourceFile = fontpath & "\" & arrFonts(i)
         strDestinationFile = sDestinationPath & "\" & arrFonts(i)

If NOT objFileSystem.FileExists(strDestinationFile) _
                Then objFolder.CopyHere strSourceFile

Next

wscript.quit
      \Rems