No announcement yet.

Automatic Shutdown Script Win 2000

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Shutdown Script Win 2000

Hi all

I've been researching this for a while now. I'm looking for a simple script I can use as a batch file to Shutdown a windows 2000 pro computer. I managed to create one for windows xp pro computers with no problem. I have tried downloading the resource tools psshutdown and shutdown.exe as well and haven't had much luck. I get a quick command prompt flash and that's it. If anyone has a script that they use or would recommend to use I would appreciate it. Thanks

Re: Automatic Shutdown Script Win 2000

There might be different versions of shutdown.exe.
    Download the shutdown.exe version that comes with the Windows 2000 resource kit

To shutdown the local computer:
    "path\folder\Shutdown.exe" /l /t:0 /c /y
    (Note that you must use a lowercase character for the switches. And use quotes around the "path\folder\file")

If you stored shutdown.exe in the same (shared-) folder as the batchfile, then you can add this line to the batch:
    @"%~dp0\shutdown.exe" /l /t:0 /c /y
    (where %~dp0 will automatically return the batch's path\folder)

Although Windows XP has its own version, the batch above will work for Windows 2000 and for Windows XP.

The user who is running the batch must have sufficient privileges on the target computer to shut it down with a script/command (by default he must be a member of the local adminnistrators group on the target computer, "Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / User Rights Assignment" -> "Shutdown the system" and/or "Force shutdown from remote system")

(Or else.. you can use a vbscript to shutdown the local or a remote computer.

If you want to shutdown remote computers then replace the /l switch with \\computername in the batch.
    You can use the Windows Server 2003 or XP version of shutdown.exe also against Windows 2000 computers, but you cannot use all the new switches.
    If the remote computer has a firewall installed be sure this is not blocking the shutdown call comming from the network.

Can you show the command line you use with shutdown.exe and psshutdown.exe.

Last edited by Rems; 7th May 2008, 20:21.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts