Cannot Import .REG File Into Windows 2000 Professional

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Import .REG File Into Windows 2000 Professional

I am trying to import a registry key using a login batch file. The import of registry key works fine for Windows XP Professional machines but users with Windows 2000 Professional machine will encounter an error message of "Cannot import .reg. Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

I have added the user of the Windows 2000 Pro machine as the local administrator of the computer and it works fine. Adding the user in the Power Users or Users group will cause the error again. I do not intend to add all those affected users into the Administrators group on their computer. Windows XP Pro does not have such problem.

Is there any fix for this?

Re: Cannot Import .REG File Into Windows 2000 Professional

What are the permissions on that key.......

It is possible that Local Admin account has the permission to change but the gropus mentioned by you do not have............

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
      What are the permissions on that key.......

It is possible that Local Admin account has the permission to change but the gropus mentioned by you do not have............

Regards,

Everyone has full permission to it.

Comment

Regedit was mainly designed for browsing the registry and as an editor. The import feature of the tool is not advanced.
        Therefore I'll suggest to test your batch also using a different approach to make the modifications to the registry during log-on.

Does this reg-file contain only a handfull of entries that need to be added, replaced or deleted? In that case consider using the reg_command rather than regedit.

Reg.exe is by default not installed with Windows 2000. You can copy the tool to a network share and point to it from the batch.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
        X