Importing User .pst files when first logging on after migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing User .pst files when first logging on after migration

Hey guys, kinda new to this site. Had a look aroung and i couldnt find the information i was after.

My dilemma is this. Have started a migration of over 400 users. Have exported all the users pst files to a central location on the file server. Now instead of having to log onto each user indiviually and import their pst files back in one at a time, i'm wondering if there is a bat file i can run at their first login that will grab the relevant pst file for that user and import it into the correct path that i specify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: Importing User .pst files when first logging on after migration

How did you export the PST files and what do you want to import them into?

If you exmerge for example your PST files are named after the users unique alias so you can re-import them easily if you have migrated user accounts with admt.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes, Exmerge is the correct tool to use for this task. See http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...hlight=exmerge because it is important to get the correct permissions for the user account which Exmerge.exe is run under.

Also make sure the PST files are correctly named - try to get Exmerge woring correctly on one PST file, and then apply that process to all of them. It will be able to import them all in one process.

Note your PST files should be less than 2GB each.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

What version of Exchange are you running?

I did something similar a few months ago on Exchange 2007 sp1.

I installed the management tools on my computer (WITH SP1!!) which is a 32bit box with Outlook 2007. You will need 32bit and Outlook 2003 sp1 and up.

Then, in powershell, there is a command to import psts (I believe it is import-mailbox -pstfolderpath) - make sure you have the right permissions to user mailboxes and from there you will be able to script it out easily using powershell..

A good permission test is trying to open the user's mailbox in outlook - if you can't do that, you won't have the right permissions to import PSTs in there either. (2007 restricts mailboxes from admins by default)
        VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Very good point, I should have suggested Exmerge for Exchange 2003, whereas that powershell is good for 2007.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
          X