DHCP Modification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Modification

Hi guys - nice complex one for you here. We don't want to use NETSH because of the complexity and size of the task.

We have an environment with six production domains in a single forest hosted by a single root domain - five are children of the root and one is a second-generation child. These production domains are spread across about a hundred sites, encompassed by hundreds of subnets. There are five DHCP classes of laptop and five of desktop.

Currently, clients (Desktop, Laptop and unclassified) get DNS server information from DHCP which points all of them to a centralised DNS Server - which is useless when sites with a local domain controller lose their WAN connection to the data centre as they lose all name resolution capability. I have been tasked with modifying DHCP so that any client picks up the local DC as it's primary DNS server with the centralised one as a backup. This took me about half an hour on the first subnet and I suspect that as I get into the task, the fastest I could do it would be two subnets per half hour. A script in this case would be invaluable; it would need to be fed (a) the subnet/scope ID, and (b) the name of the primary DNS server for that subnet. It would then set Scope Option 006 for each of our custom DHCP classes and one Scope Option 006 for "classless" clients.

Is this too big a task for one script? I would expect to have to execute the script once for each relevant DHCP Scope - ideally I could create a text file with the list of the Scope ID's to be modified and primary server IP for each and it could then loop the execution of the script for each one in turn with no further interaction with me.

Is it possible? Is it too much work for someone here to devote time to? Will I need to get my boss to initiate a project at work?

Any and all advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: DHCP Modification

p.s. Server 2003 in Native Mode

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Nobody even wants to give some advice? Or tell me it's too much work? No replies at all?!

Tom

Comment

Since your infrastructure is so wide-spread, I imagine that spending the time to develop a script to do this for you would save time (I think you would end up spending about 25 hours doing this manually). Perhaps finding/writing and testing a script will only take 4 hours? So I would think that in your situation, I would try to find a script. That said, I haven't seen one (nor can I write one) that would help. There's got to be someone on here that has seen something like this before?
        Just my 2 cents worth.

~Kara
        ~Kara
        'What we do not make conscious emerges later as fate.' Carl Jung

Comment

I still think NETSH is the best tool for scripting this combining with maybe psexec.
          I don't know any method with VBscript and in my opinion you only make it harder and more complex by using VBscript.

Maybe our Scripting Guru named Rems has some other ideas
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
          X