Will robocopy work for this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will robocopy work for this?

Hello...First time posting, so take it easy on me! I've searched the forums and couldn't find a situation that really matches what I'm trying to accomplish so I thought I'd ask.

Here's what the situation is:

1. We have a server that contains an app directory that needs to be replicated on all of our user machines.

2. I need to have the ability to add/change/delete files from the server app directory and have that change happen on the user's machine. I.e.: I delete C:/app/test.txt from the server dir and the next time the user logs in, the script runs on the local machine and compares the local copy of the app dir to the server app directory and deletes the test.txt from the user dir.

3. If I was to utilize something like robocopy for this, would robocopy (or any other similar utility) need to be locally installed on the user machine? So I guess I'm asking if this process can be instated with zero interaction on the end user machine.

Thanks for the input!
    JB

Re: Will robocopy work for this?

synctoy maybe?
    ________
    Herbalaire Vaporizers
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:21.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Yup, robocopy can do that - it can be installed only on the server, and it can be continuously running, i.e. told to wake up and do its magic once x changes have been detected. It can also make sure that the destination folders stay the same as the source folder, even deleted files, so if you erase a source file it gets deleted on the destination too.

Install (well, robocopy does not actually need to be installed, just download it and run it!) robocopy on the server and configure it with all those clever switches on the server to sync the folder to the client PCs. No need for anything on the client, except that of course the server needs to be able to see the folder it's writing to on the PC.

There is an amazing Word document for robocopy that tells us about every switch that you can use, and it is very comprehensive. Do you have that word document? (Its a better way to go that the GUI which only has a subset of the switches).
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
        Yup, robocopy can do that - it can be installed only on the server, and it can be continuously running, i.e. told to wake up and do its magic once x changes have been detected. It can also make sure that the destination folders stay the same as the source folder, even deleted files, so if you erase a source file it gets deleted on the destination too.

Install (well, robocopy does not actually need to be installed, just download it and run it!) robocopy on the server and configure it with all those clever switches on the server to sync the folder to the client PCs. No need for anything on the client, except that of course the server needs to be able to see the folder it's writing to on the PC.

There is an amazing Word document for robocopy that tells us about every switch that you can use, and it is very comprehensive. Do you have that word document? (Its a better way to go that the GUI which only has a subset of the switches).
        Thanks alot for the information! I'm glad to hear that this is possible with robo copy! I do have a question tho. I've never really used Robocopy so is getting it setup to do what I want extremely complicated? I don't have that document you speak of in your post. Could you post a link to it or tell me where I could find it? Thanks again!

Comment

I originally got Rocopy along with it's Word document from the Resource Toolkit at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

You may find the Word document here

Robocopy is a command line executable file. You would want to make a batch file, and have it run robocopy.exe with its various parameters, for example a simple one I use is this:

Code:
          robocopy.exe C:\sourcefolder X:\destination /XA:SHT /E /COPY:DT /XJ /V /TEE /NP /R:1 /W:1  /LOG:"MyLogFile.txt"
          All those command line switches maymake it seem more complex than it really is, just start with the ones I have put in the example, and after reading the Word doc, add your own to fine-tune things.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
          X