Timeout a VBScript?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeout a VBScript?

Is there a way to set a maximum time on execution of a vbscript from within the vbscript itself?

Eg. in some languages you can set an alarm function near the beginning which terminates the script with a custom message if execution of the rest of the script takes longer than X seconds.

This means that if a later part of the script was to hang, the alarm mechanism started near the beginning would kill the remaining execution and exit gracefully with a message.

Any ideas on a timeout of execution within a vbscript? Perhaps some COM method? I'm not sure if I'm close with something like System.Windows.Forms.Timer or if I'm way off.

In any event I need it to be portable and not rely on installing the .NET framework. It has to come bundled with all modern windows versions, 2000/2003/XP...

Re: Timeout a VBScript?

I don't think you can do this because it requires a separate thread. Otherwise updating your timer or monitor would starve as execution is blocked by the halted/stalled process.

VBScript does allow you to create threads but as far as I know there's no easy way to interact with them.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I've found that setting WScript.Timeout is the trick, but unfortunately I don't know how to control the exit code or the exit message which makes it pretty useless to me in fact since I absolutely must have the exit code set if it times out.

Edit: I'd be very interested in how to use threads in vbs though... I thought and have heard that vbs is not multi threaded...
      Last edited by humbletech99; 17th December 2007, 22:44.

Comment

WScript.Timeout end the script just with exitcode 0.

I don't know much about your script, but maybe you can use a time-out on a process/service event monitor? <--> from within the script write a Temp.vbs. Execute Temp.vbs hidden, with the wscript.fullname as script argument.
        This is the monitor that waits for a certain event of a certain process or service be be occour. You can set a time-out for the monitoring part of the script.
        When the monitor in Temp.vbs timed-out, the main vbs will be terminated by the temp.vbs and you can quit temp.vbs with a raised exitcode. When the monitor did registrate the event, then Temp.vbs quits w/ exitcode 0.

\Rems

I've found that setting WScript.Timeout is the trick, but unfortunately I don't know how to control the exit code or the exit message
        There are several ways to set a time-out on a script.
        By command line,
        wscript //T:60 c:\somescript.vbs

to make it permanent for all scripts;
        wscript //T:99 //S --> sets script timeouts to 99 seconds
        wscript //T:0 //S --> turns script timeouts off

Manually for all scripts
        Start | Run: wscript
        change configuration

In a script
        '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
        'if you don't click OK within 10 seconds
        'the whole script will timeout...
        wscript.timeout = 10 : MsgBox "hello..."

wscript.timeout = 0
        'this one is not subject to any timeout,,,
        MsgBox "goodbye..."
        '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

:::::::::::::::::::::::Tool:::::::::::::::::::::::
        ::Determine the exitcode of a script:
        @echo off
        wscript "c:\somescript.vbs"
        echo wscript returned %errorlevel%
        if errorlevel 1 goto error
        echo We have success
        goto end
        :error
        echo We have an error
        :end
        pause

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Rems, thanks for showing me all the round about ways of setting wscript.timeout, but the problem I am having is not setting the timeout or even finding out the return code.

The problem is that wscript.timeout is actually not returning the right exit code, it is returning 0 when I need it to return a specific error code if it the script exits from timeout.

I absolutely must be able to set the exit code and preferably message too of a script timeout in order to be able to use it, otherwise I'll have to remove the timeout altogether as a timeout with exit code 0 is far worse in terms on integration with the other application.

Comment

All the round about ways of setting wscript.timeout was just for who is interested. It was not meant as an solution.

The time-out of the monitor, I mensioned in the first part of the reply, is a totally different time-out event then wscript.timeout.
            You can set a time-out in miliseconds on the 'NextEvent Method' of the ExecNotificationQuery Method. (Set wbemObject = wbemEvent.NextEvent(Timeout)). You can monitor defined processes and/or services. And when there are no events during that time, the script ends the monitor and proceed w/ rest of the script. This time-out raises an error number '-2147209215'. You can handle the error and exit with Wscript.quit(err.Number).
            But this was just a long shot.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
            X