Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchonize Time on GP

Hi,

I'd deploy about 3 hundred+ PC in a domain network, and already joined them to the domain one by one. All of these PC will login to AD and will use the same domain users account.

But I only realized that their local time are not the same.
    Can I have a logon script on the Group Policy so that when they login to AD, it will synchronize the time?

Or anyone can suggest the best solution for this? Please I need your help so badly.

Re: Synchonize Time on GP

Im sure there is a way with VBScript but there is a simple batch file you can use:

Code:
    net time \\servername /set /yes
    That will synchronize each computers time with the nominated server.

Comment

As far as I remember, XP stations in an AD environment should synchronize by themselves with the DC(s). (Question: are your stations XP?)
      If you feel this is not happening, you may want to start troubleshooting the issue. Maybe other things are not working as they should (for instance, dealing with policies).

Take a look at this article too: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307897

What do you think?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

What about adding the Time Server in with the DHCP scope? I think 004 is the option to add.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          004 is the option to add.
          Indeed it is

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

hi all,

I made a bat file, with this line

net time \\10.10.x.x /set /yes

and apply it a link GPO at Start up & logon Script

but it did not synchronize to the domain controlller time,
            When logon to any workstation, with just a normal domain user account I was hoping that it will synchronize the time.

Comment

Re: Synchronize Time on GP

Hey, dude.
              First, I think you should have used a command like this: net time /DOMAIN:[yourdomain] .
              But I would go to set this through GPO, and not script. For this:
              1) set Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Time Service -> Time Providers -> Enable Windows NTP Client to Enabled;
              2) set the Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Time Service -> Time Providers -> Configure Windows NTP Client to the value of your DC.
              Don't forget to check that the Windows Time service is running on the station you want to synchronize.

Let's see if this works. If not, we'll start troubleshooting.
              BTW, you still didn't say anything about your environment: what OS are your stations and your servers running.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by iii_carlos View Post
                it did not synchronize to the domain controlller time, when logon to any workstation, with just a normal domain user account
                Normal domain accounts don't have permission to change the time. Therefore the command-line must executed during computer-startup not during user logon.

like Sorin says, better to use a GPO linked to the client computers and configure the Windows Time Service template.

Settings for the clients:
                Computer configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Windows Time Service/Time Providers --->
                Enable Windows NTP client =enabled
                Configure NTP client =enabled
                -> NtpServer:time.windows.com,0x1
                -> Type: NT5DS
                -> others: 2 / 15 / 7 / 3600 / 0
                Enable NTP Server =disabled

Also check if the time zones are correct on DCs, every member and on clients,
                and daylightsavings_yes/not per time zone in use, is equal set over the network.

\Rem

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                X