Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe remote install

Hello,

I have been given a task to install Adobe 7.0.7. on all 700 Workstations scattered throughout the country. Some of the sites have a 56k connection. We do not have sms nor are we planning to purchase it in the near future. The Adobe version I must install is in french.
    I would like to use psexec to accomplish the task. I a new to scripting and this is what I came up with up until now.

c000029 is the target computer
    c002763 is the source computer (where the files are located)

echo "checking for Installers directory on the target..."
    if not exist \\c000029\C$\installers mkdir \\c000029\C$\installers
    pause
    echo "copying Adobe Reader install to install directory..."
    copy \\c002763\c$\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBig707\FRA_\setup.exe \\c000029\C$\installers\
    pause
    echo "Installing Adobe Reader 7.0.7 ..."
    psexec.exe \\c000029 "c:\installers\setup.exe" /sAll /rs
    pause
    echo "Installation Silently Done!"

The script does not work fully in that the folder "installers" is created but that is it. There is nothing in the installers folder.What i would like the script to do is to copy the Adobe file folder from c002763 and put it in the "installers" folder. And execute setup.exe in silent mode. Users have no admin rights.
    How can i accomplish this using psexec?

Many thanks,
    Tacobell

Re: Adobe remote install

add "setup.exe" to the end of the COPY command like so:

copy \\c002763\c$\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBig707\FRA_\setup.exe \\c000029\C$\installers\setup.exe

what it's doing is something Windows seems to like; it's copying the file over as a folder. Nonsensical I know but there you go. The command above should work.

If you can get hold of robocopy though, that will be a much more efficient use of the available bandwidth; the network usage of the robocopy command is awesomely optimised compared to DOS COPY.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Before you roll out 7.07, you may want to be aware that 7.09 was the last version in the 7.x series and 8.x has also been out for quite some time.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

A couple of years ago, i've wrote the following vbscript which you can run as a startup script.

You need to adjust him to you're needs but hey, its a start

Code:
        ' NAME: Deploy_Acrobat_reader_7.vbs
        '
        ' AUTHOR: Marcel Henderik
        ' DATE  : 4-11-2005
        '
        ' COMMENT:	This script wil automatically remove Adobe Acrobat version 5.0
        '			if present, and will automatically install Acrobat version 7
        '==========================================================================
        Option Explicit

Declare And setup Variables
        Dim oShell, oFilesystem,objWMIService,colProcesses,objTextFile,objNetwork
        Dim ServerLocation,strComputer, strLogFile,UninstallString, CheckMin,CheckMax, ClientLocation

Set oShell = CreateObject ("wscript.shell")
        Set oFileSystem =CreateObject ("scripting.filesystemobject")
        Set objNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
        strComputer =objNetwork.ComputerName
        ClientLocation = "c:\acrobat 7"
        ServerLocation = "\\Server\Install$\Adobe Acrobat Reader 7"

'
        'Checking if Adobe acrobat reader version 7.0.3 ia already installed
        '
        On Error Resume Next
        CheckMin = oShell.RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\7.0\Installer\VersionMin") 
        CheckMax = oShell.RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\7.0\Installer\VersionMax") 
        	If CheckMin = "3" And CheckMax = "7" Then
        		'Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0.3 already installed
        		WScript.Quit (0)
        	Else
        		Remove_500 'start removing the Abobe acrobat version 5 if present
        	End If 

'
        'Start uninstalling Adobe acrobat version 5
        '
        Sub Remove_500
        On Error Resume Next
        UninstallString = oShell.RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Acrobat 5.0\UninstallString")
        	If UninstallString <> "" Then
        		oShell.Popup "Installing Adobe Acrobat reader 7.0. Please hold",10,"update acrobat reader"
        		UninstallString = UninstallString + " -y -x -a"
        		oShell.Run (UninstallString) 
        	 	'removing adobe acrobat version 5
        		Check_IsUn0413 'checking if the process is running....
        	Else
        		Install_700 'start installing version 7.0
        	End If 
        Install_700 'start installing version 7.0
        End Sub

'
        'Controlling if process IsUn0413.exe exits and when done, continue script..
        '
        Sub Check_IsUn0413
        WScript.Sleep 200
        	Do
        	Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:"& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
        	Set colProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("SELECT * FROM Win32_Process WHERE Name = 'IsUn0413.exe'")
        		If colProcesses.Count = 0 Then
        		    Exit Do
        		End If
        	Loop
        End Sub

'
        'Installing Ādobe acrobat reader 7.0.0
        '
        Sub Install_700
        On Error Resume Next
        CheckMin = oShell.RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\7.0\Installer\VersionMin") 
        CheckMax = oShell.RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\7.0\Installer\VersionMax") 
        	If CheckMin = "0" And CheckMax = "7" Then
        		'Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0.0 already installed.. Checking for updates.
        		Install_701 'starting installation of version update 1
        	Elseif CheckMin > "0" Then
        		If CheckMin = "1" Then 
        			'Acrobat 7.0.1 is installed, starting update 2
        			install_702 
        		End If
        		If CheckMin = "2" Then 
        			'Acrobat 7.0.2 is installed, starting update 3
        			Install_703
        		End If
        	Else

If oFilesystem.FolderExists (ClientLocation) = 0 Then
        			oFilesystem.CreateFolder ClientLocation
        			oFilesystem.CopyFolder ServerLocation,ClientLocation,True
        		End If

WScript.Sleep 600 'longer sleeptime before starting... 
        		oShell.Run "Msiexec /i " & """" & ClientLocation & "\NLD\Adobe Reader 7.0 - Nederlands.msi"& """" & " TRANSFORMS="& """" &"Adobe Reader 7.0 - Nederlands.mst"& """" & " /qn"
        		msicontrol 'checking if the MSI process is running
        		Install_701
        	End if
        End Sub

'
        'Installing Ādobe acrobat reader update 7.01
        '

Sub Install_701
        	If CheckMin = "1" then
        		'Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0.1 already installed.. Checking for next update.
        		install_702
        	Elseif CheckMin < "2" then
        		WScript.Sleep 600
        		'installing Adobe Acrobat reader 7.0.0
        		'WScript.Echo "installing Adobe Acrobat reader 7.0.1"
        		oShell.Run "Msiexec /i " & """" & ClientLocation & "\Acrobat Reader 70.1 Update\Adobe Acrobat 7.0.1 and Reader 7.0.1 Update.msi" & """" & " /qn"
        		msicontrol 
        		Install_702
        	End if

End sub

'
        'Installing Ādobe acrobat reader update 7.02
        '

Sub install_702
        	If CheckMin = "2" then
        		'Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0.2 already installed.. Checking for next update.
        		Install_703
        	Elseif CheckMin < "2" Then 
        		WScript.Sleep 600
        		'WScript.Echo "installing Adobe Acrobat reader 7.0.2"
        		oShell.Run "Msiexec /i " & """" & ClientLocation & "\Acrobat Reader 70.2 Update\Adobe Acrobat 7.0.2 and Reader 7.0.2 Update.msi" & """" & " /qn"
        		msicontrol 
        		Install_703
        	End If
        End sub

'
        'Installing Ādobe acrobat reader update 7.03
        '

Sub Install_703
        	If CheckMin = "3"  Then
        		'Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0.3 already installed.. Checking for next update.
        		Logging
        	Elseif Checkmin < "3" then
        		WScript.Sleep 600
        		'WScript.Echo "installing Adobe Acrobat reader 7.0.3"
        		oShell.Run "Msiexec /i " & """" & ClientLocation & "\Acrobat Reader 70.3 Update\Adobe Acrobat 7.0.3 and Reader 7.0.3 Update.msi" &  """" &" /qn"
        		msicontrol 
        		Logging
        	End if
        End Sub

'
        'Start logging when finished all the above installations....
        '
        Sub Logging
        WScript.Sleep 600
        	If CheckMin = "3"  Then
        		'Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0.3 already installed.. Writing to Logfile
        		Const ForAppending = 8
        		strLogFile= ServerLocation & "\Logs\Update.log"
        		Set objTextFile = oFileSystem.OpenTextFile (strLogFile, ForAppending, True)
        			objTextFile.WriteLine(strComputer & vbTab & Date & vbTab & Time )
        			objTextFile.Close
        		'remove the 
        		Set oShell = Nothing
        		Set oFileSystem =Nothing
        		Set objNetwork = Nothing
        		WScript.Quit (0)
        	Else
        		If CheckMin = "0" Then 
        			'Acrobat 7.0.0 is installed, starting update 1
        			Install_701
        		End If
        		If CheckMin = "1" Then 
        			'Acrobat 7.0.1 is installed, starting update 2
        			Install_702
        		End If
        		If CheckMin = "2" Then 
        			'Acrobat 7.0.2 is installed, starting update 3
        			Install_703
        		End If
        	End If
        end Sub

'
        'Controlling if process msiexec.exe exits and when done, continue script..
        '
        Sub msicontrol
        	WScript.Sleep 300
        	Do
        	Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:"& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
        	Set colProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("SELECT * FROM Win32_Process WHERE Name = 'msiexec.exe'")
        		If colProcesses.Count = 1 Then
        			Exit Do
        		End If
        	Loop
        End Sub
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hello and thank you all for the scripts,

I have been asked to re-install adobe 7.0.7 in french on 700 workstations scattered throughout the country. I am not using sms nor am i planning to due to budget constraints. I`ve decided to use psexec for this. I``ve made 2 bat files:

1)Launch Adobe Install.bat
          psexec @pclist -u domain\username -p password -i adobe1.bat >> err.txt 2>>log.txt

2)adobe1.bat
          %Comspec% /c msiexec /i "\\c002763\c$\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\SetupFiles\RdrBig707\FRA_\Acropro" ALLUSERS=2 EULA_ACCEPT=YES SUPPRESS_APP_LAUNCH=YES REBOOT=REALLYSUPRESS /qb

When i click on Launch Adobe Install.bat i get a log that says:
          PsExec could not start adobe1.bat on Computer1

When i double click on adobe1.bat Adobe installs flawlessly.

What am i doing wrong with the code on Launch Adobe Install.bat

Many thanks,
          Tacobell2000

Comment

Originally posted by Tacobell View Post
            Hello and thank you all for the scripts,

I have been asked to re-install adobe 7.0.7 in french on 700 workstations scattered throughout the country. I am not using sms nor am i planning to due to budget constraints.
            The VBscript i provided just needed some tweaks to you're situation. You can run it as a startupscript so no sms is needed.

But it's you're call.
            I haven't that much experience with the pcexec/pslist commands you want to use.

However i can imagine that the error means that he cant find the file adobe1.bat on Computer1
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X