Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How.to.track.user.usage

Hi,
    I have a task that I have to keep track a group of users in the domain of how long they use the computer in a period of time. So it doesn't matter which client a particular user log on I have to know the total time that he or she spend using the computer.

Please advise.

Thanks alot.
    Teamwork

Off the top of my head:

Configure group policy to record domain logon / logoff events.
    Export the security log to a spreadsheet
    Do some quick filtering / calculations to get the times involved.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The lastlogon date and time is actually an attribute in AD. You can easily export it by using CSVDE into a CSV file.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The LastLogonTimeStamp is an attribute of Active Directory. In Windows 2003 AD environment it's even better. Now LastLogonTimeStamp is replicated as well. So if you have 20 DCs and you need to find out the last time a user log on you just have to run dsa.msc at any DC and view that user properties instead of visiting 20 of them.

Requirements:

1. Active Directory Windows 2003 Functional Level

2. Windows 2003 ResoureKit. Download it here (*)

(*) After installing the Resource Kit you need to register acctinfo.dll by cmd: regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\acctinfo.dll

Source:

1.MS Windows Server 2003 Documentation (the last two lines at the bottom of the page)

2 Active Directory Cookbook

Question: MS says that you can track computer account as well but I haven't found out how to do it so far. If you've done it before please advise.

Regards,
        Teamwork

Comment

Working...
        X