Scripting PC Configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripting PC Configuration

I'm new to the scripting world and would appreciate any help you might offer. Currently I'm manually configuring desktops purchased w/ XPsp2 and Office 2003 Professional.

While I could easily clone/ghost one machine and solve the problem I'd prefer to have a script that would do the following:

Setup Power Schemes
    Set Home Page
    Start a service
    Turn off animated characters in Search
    Turn on Quick Launch
    Disable Desktop Cleanup Wizard
    Set Start Menu to Classic
    Disable File Sharing
    Rename Admin Account
    Clear page file at shutdown
    That sort of thing.

I'm doing some of these tasks by using GPEDIT on the desktop.

I've googled for this info and come up w/ several suggestions using GPO's. I'm still on an NT4 domain (upgrading in the spring) and would like to automate allot of my work using a script from the command line.

Thanks

Re: Scripting PC Configuration

Virtually all these settings are in the registry. You just need to leanr how to write a batch file (very simple) to use the reg.exe command (comes with windows) to change the settings. Finding the settings that correspond to what you want will be a little tricky but not impossible.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If you are installing the computers by yourself, I would advice you to use nlite to prepare a bootable, unattended installation disk. This software allows you to preset your environment, including tweaks, services and such.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of the batch file, and I'm realizing that the settings, while buried in there, are hard to uncover.

Nlite might be a more practical way of solving this problem. However, scripting is very attractive to me.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll post my solution here later.

Comment

Allow me to append a question to this post.

If I have snippets of batches/scripts I've collected from different sites, what would prevent me from compiling them all into one script?

For instance I have the Numlock script that reads as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]
          "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2"

And a Administrative Share Script that reads as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters]

"AutoShareWorkstation"=dword:00000000

Couldnt I just remove the 2nd instance of "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and allow the script to flow to the end?

Thanks again

Comment

nLite is a nice solution only for the computers you will install from now on. To set the already existing computers, you will need a CMD or a REG file.
            Finding the right keys will not be easy. It takes some time and patience. And good resources. I'm using a book from Microsoft Press, called Windows Registry Guide (ISBN: 0-7356-2218-3). It has a lot of info regarding what to look and where (and especially, how is the Registry built).
            I can tell you that the home page setting for IE resides in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\StartPage, for instance.
            Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by awreneau View Post
              Couldnt I just remove the 2nd instance of "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" and allow the script to flow to the end?
              Of course you can. After all, building a REG file is just this: a list of Registry values to create, change or delete.
              The most important thing: check it out before you go production.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I'll have a look at that book. Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated.

Comment

How about using group policies

Comment

TS started with:

Originally posted by awreneau View Post
                    I've googled for this info and come up w/ several suggestions using GPO's. I'm still on an NT4 domain (upgrading in the spring) and would like to automate allot of my work using a script from the command line.

Thanks
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I had this exact same issue, and WinDiff helped me a lot.

First, export your registry. Then make a simple change to the system. Then, export the registry again to a second file. Run WinDiff to see the differences between the two registries. This helps make a .reg file that you can then run in a script calling regedit /s myregfile.reg

WinDiff is available from the Windows Server 2003 Support folder or from http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...nload_Windiff_

Hope this helps.
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.
                      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thanks for that Paul. Great link. I've never seen that before - i think ill be having a play with that tomorrow.
                        Server 2000 MCP
                        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yeppers, this is interesting. I'm learning in reverse I guess. Nonetheless learning.

Thanks for the posts, you folks are da bomb!

Comment

WinDiff it's a great tool. Makes a nice graphical replacement to the fc command. The only problem I sometimes have with it it's the method itself. Sometimes, the output is so full of irrelevant junk, that it's difficult to find what you look for.
                            But that's not a reason not to use it, only to be prepared ( so one won't be disappointed).
                            Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                            X