Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limit process

hello
    is there a way to limit process on windows XP ?
    by a vbs script or programs or gpo ... ?

I want to limit users to run a maximum of 2 applications only no more.

Thank's

Re: limit process

This would be very difficult to script.

Please explain the scenario in which this is going to work.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If you had a list of EXE's you wished to track, you could write a daemon that mined the task list on a timed basis and totaled the number of apps running in the defined list. If that total exceeded the threshold, you'd have to decide you to handle the situation.

Realize this is most probably not a scripted but a compiled solution and the one I've described catches the "problem" after the fact (it does not prevent launching app #3).

Sounds like what you want is an extreme variant on a license control / counter system that works in a transposed way by looking at the total number of licensed apps running on a given machine versions the total number of a single licensed app running across all machines.

Interested in knowing your motivation here. Maybe that will help us find a solution.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by milo974 View Post
        hello
        is there a way to limit process on windows XP ?
        by a vbs script or programs or gpo ... ?

I want to limit users to run a maximum of 2 applications only no more.

Thank's
        I'm not trying to resurrect a dead thread [visions of beating a dead horse], but the challenge of scripting this piqued my interest. I've created a script in the past that will do some of what I think you want - I just need your input for the requirements before doing anything.

Are you still looking for a solution?
        Andrew

Comment

Hi, Andrew.
          Hard to understand why milo did not get back to the thread since his original post and ignored the questions. It's making me wanting to tell you : "Hey, save your breath, the guy don't need us!". Nonetheless, the curiosity of seeing such a script makes me drool
          So, I leave it to your decision to post that script anyway, for the good of the coming generations

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

And how easy is it to work around the script? Is it checking the process count then launching the app? Why couldn't the user figure this out and launch the app directly?

Curious on what your approach is. As Sorin suggested, others would be interested in the solution even if the OP isn't.

EDIT: I see your posts here that look like they could be a basis for this script?:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...=process+count

ALSO, Milo posted a very similar request in June 2006.
            Last edited by rvalstar; 14th February 2007, 09:03.
            Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
              And how easy is it to work around the script? Is it checking the process count then launching the app? Why couldn't the user figure this out and launch the app directly?

Curious on what your approach is. As Sorin suggested, others would be interested in the solution even if the OP isn't.

EDIT: I see your posts here that look like they could be a basis for this script?:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...=process+count

ALSO, Milo posted a very similar request in June 2006.
              That could play into it but I don't know... The problem is that I don't know if he wanted something that would limit a particular application to two instances or limit the system to running two applications (i.e. outlook.exe, firefox.exe).

Without knowing more I'd just be guessing.
              Andrew

Comment

Windows XP SE (Special Edition) I think it was called. Would only let you run 3 apps at a time.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Windows XP Starter Edition
                  Or else:
                  WinU could be an option?

\Rem

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                  X