Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updating a single file on XP Clients using vbs

Greetings All,

I have a software vendor who released an updated MS Word macro because the previous versions digital signatures had expired. This NewMacro.dot is valid for three more years. The OldMacro.dot is located in the Word\Startup directory on each XP SP2 client machine. The client machines are located throughout the country on different domains.

The MSWord\Startup directory is of course is relevant to the version of MS Word that is installed, as well as different configuration settings at different sites. In example: some sites will install this file to the C:\Documents and Settings\UserID\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP while others will install to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP location and finally, some local admin’s will opt to run this from a \\server\share location or drive mapping. Users running an earlier version of MS Word, may install to the ...OFFICE10\STARTUP directory.

I have started the research to automate this task with a script and after spending most of the day going through the Scripts Forum (Petri.co.il is a wonderful resource by the way!) – I am hopeful that this can be accomplished. I have found a few pieces such as running the script based upon group membership but there are many gaps in my knowledge on scripting. Below follows the criteria I have in mind for this script – would anyone be so kind as to check the concept of this to first of all see if all this is possible - and secondly, provide any examples as to how this can be done?

This is the criteria for the script:

-be called from a login script based upon AD group membership (I can edit the domain info for each site)
    -RunAs local admin (since not all users are LocalAdmin – different local admins for each site)
    -ensure Word.exe is not in use (since the macro is in the word startup dir – Word.exe will not be in use if called from the login.bat but some sites may want to run independently of the login.bat )
    -check the possible locations of the MSWord\STARTUP\oldmacro.dot (the possible locations can be configured for each site)
    -replace the OldMacro.dot file with the NewMacro.dot version located on the \\server\share

This script would me from having to manually update a single file on hundreds and hundreds of client machines as well as providing a way to update other files for this particular vendor.

All ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Rob

Re: updating a single file on XP Clients using vbs

the macro file, do you need to deploy to each machine?
    Is every machine Member of a 2000/2003 machine?

If both yes you can already elimitate by running it as a startup script.

-be called from a login script based upon AD group membership (I can edit the domain info for each site)
    -RunAs local admin (since not all users are LocalAdmin – different local admins for each site)
    -ensure Word.exe is not in use (since the macro is in the word startup dir – Word.exe will not be in use if called from the login.bat but some sites may want to run independently of the login.bat )
    However, this is user specific:
    -check the possible locations of the MSWord\STARTUP\oldmacro.dot (the possible locations can be configured for each site)
    Isn't there a standard in it?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
    X