Disk Quota for groups, not users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Quota for groups, not users

Anyone have anything for this? I know microsoft provides a script to add users, and you can do this in computer management as well, but it doesn't let you add groups.

Re: Disk Quota for groups, not users

I guess no one knows anything about this...

Comment

Using Disk Quotas for groups is not an available feature in Windows 2000/2003. Sorry, only users.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ok I thought that there might be some workaround, but I'll just have to deal with it. Thanks.

Comment

There are a couple of things you can do to help manage shares on a server at the group level but it's fairly complex. All the parts are actually pretty easy, but putting it all together can be a pain.

If a file is saved, the last person to save the file will become the owner, which is why quotas at the group level is not supported.

The layout of the file shares will need to be such that the owner of the files can be changed via a script that would run on some schedule.

For example:

DeptShares --> a volume on your file server (Quotas applied here)
          \Finance --> Share mapped to all users in the Finance Department
          \IT --> Share mapped to all users in the IT Department
          Each time the script runs it would change the owner of the Finance directory, all subdirectories and all files to your finance group, and similarly, all the files and folders below IT to your IT group.

Now quotas can be tracked via the quota settings in Windows (at least in 2003-SP1)

At this point I'm not sure you would want to deny writing a file if the quota is exceeded, but instead have another script that will either walk the event log looking for messages for exceeded quotas (if they would even show up at the group level) or have the script look at the quota sub-system directly and notify you of exceeded quotas.

Like I said, it's not simple, but once it's been automated it should be able to at the very least notify you using several different methods.

Good Luck.
          Last edited by lilary; 28th September 2006, 18:46.

Comment

Nice info, thanks, however at that point I'd advise them to just buy a decent 3rd party quota mgmt software that can do that.

Also, I know I'm getting a bit senile but I simply forgot wheather Windows 2003 R2 FSRM allows for Group Quota mangement or not, and wheather we have that capability now or do we need to wait for Longhorn.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx
            Last edited by danielp; 29th September 2006, 00:38.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Having never been to Egypt I have not gone (to) See Nile, but my understanding is the quota is applied to folders and not groups, unfortunately.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                Having never been to Egypt I have not gone (to) See Nile, but my understanding is the quota is applied to folders and not groups, unfortunately.
                Are you sure?
                I thought quotas were applied to users.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

According to this it's applied to users.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=183322

Disk quotas provide administrators with a way to limit each user's utilization of disk space on a volume. In order to set quotas, you must have Administrator rights, and the volume must be formatted with the NTFS file system. This article describes how you can set Windows NT File System (NTFS) volume disk quotas in Windows 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
                    Also, I know I'm getting a bit senile but I simply forgot wheather Windows 2003 R2 FSRM allows for Group Quota mangement or not, and wheather we have that capability now or do we need to wait for Longhorn.
                    Daniel was refering to the part I have bolded. FSRM applies quotas to folders. This is something new in Windows 2003 Server R2. It is a shame it wasn't set so you could apply to an OU.

This may be the Quota Management you are thinking about.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskManQuota.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	462690
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yea there's third party software, but someone had to script it! I'll probably end up buying something third party anyway.

Comment

Few days ago I have found this:

http://www.admin-pains.com/group_quota.asp

I haven't tested it yet but I will do in near future

Comment

Originally posted by getanin View Post
                          Few days ago I have found this:

http://www.admin-pains.com/group_quota.asp

I haven't tested it yet but I will do in near future
                          Looks like it will do the job. Simply resets the ownership of the files (which is how Windows Volume Quota system checks on quota useage) every 5 minutes using a user that is a member of a group. Its neat and is a free solution. Obviously its only as good as the last ownership reset and if you have a lot of data the reset could never finish if the frequency of reset is set too short.
                          Server 2000 MCP
                          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I ended up getting symantec storage exec...its working great.

Comment

Working...
                            X