Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User login Via USB

Hi,

Im trying to find some code or free program that will allow me to log onto a computer running on a 2003 AD domain. I have found some 3rd party programs that will allow you to do this but having over 350 machines and the software costing $35 dollars each a little hard to swallow.

what I want to do is allow students to use there usb drives to login to there PC, we have a huge problem at the moment with users using junior school kids passwords. Giving the Junior shool teachers the ability to log the computer on quickly would be a great help.

Cheers

Damein

Re: User login Via USB

Could you please explain what that means? How can one login through USB?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I think he means have the logon credentials cached on the thumb drive (a bit like a smart card) so no username / password is used and (presumably) so a user can only be on one PC at a time.

Silverchewy, if you have 350+ PCs you should get a massive discount on the software price -- even more so for education! What is the software you are looking at?

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry Ill explain what I mean a little further

At the moment our users log into the computer like normal they enter a username and password, the problem is that the junior students (year 1 to year 6) give those details to the upper school students.

What I want is like what Ossian said, a flash drive that is automatically identified and uses some cache information to log the student on at the windows login screen with out them needing to know the information.

Even at 10 dollars a users it is not going to be approved. If it was up to me Id just buy it but this is not an option.

Some third party solutions are

Rohos, Natural Login Pro 1.00

Comment

Hmmm... I don't think you can do that by NOT using ANY 3rd-party tool. I've never heard of such an option.

Let us know what you find.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I think you looking for some smarcard with certificate authentication.
            Maybe this is something you're looking for.

However, i've not tested it, and i'm not responsible for any security troubles..
            I'm even not sure if this is the thing you're looking for...

http://www.programurl.com/disklogon-lite.htm
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks Dumber that is exactly what I was chasing, I was hoping that MS had made something or some scripting could be made to do it.

Disklogin-lite does what I need it to do. Now there is no need for the juniors to know there passwords and the seniors will no longer be able to user there accounts to do inappropriate things.

one thing that would be great is for me to find a program that provides the proxy authentication also but that is not as inportant as the windows login.

Thanks again

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what the solution was.

EDIT: D/l link above doesn't work. Try this instead:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/397442 (v2.2 instead of the non-working link to v2.3)

Also, I've noticed the freeware version does no support W2K/Win2003...
                Last edited by danielp; 18th September 2006, 08:09.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X