Adding Network Locations Through Logon Script

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Network Locations Through Logon Script

I need to eliminate having mapped network drives on my network and replace them with network locations utilizing the UNC path. I found how to do this in Windows 7 by going into computer from the start menu and going into the add network location wizard from the properties of computer in the left pane. I have close to 100 clients/pcs with multiple users accessing them, so I would like to edit my logon script that is deployed through group policy but I have not been able to figure out the appropriate command/syntax to accomplish this. Does anyone know how to accomplish this task? Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Re: Adding Network Locations Through Logon Script

Hi, this is the more modern way of doing it with group police preferences. Instead of logon scripts you can control drive access via security groups. Have a read could be for you.

http://www.howtogeek.com/99403/it-ho...-group-policy/
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Yea, I saw that but it looks like it is for mapped drives. I am looking to do Network locations that is strictly by UNC path and do not get drive letters as is done in adding a network location in Windows 7 through the wizard by right clicking on computer in the left pane of explorer. The network location share that is being created will be available to everyone on the network. This is being done to eliminate any issues to viruses/malware that target mapped drives such as cryptolocker to avoid the data on the server being affected by a client.
      Last edited by NOM115; 17th May 2014, 23:31.

Comment

Hi, I can't see an easy way to do this, apart from maybe using Group Policy Preferences to deploy shortcuts to UNC paths.

Additionally, I have found this. Seems to be similar to your issue.
        http://serverfault.com/questions/429...group-policies
        Last edited by uk_network; 18th May 2014, 13:24.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
          Hi, I can't see an easy way to do this, apart from maybe using Group Policy Preferences to deploy shortcuts to UNC paths.

Additionally, I have found this. Seems to be similar to your issue.
          http://serverfault.com/questions/429...group-policies
          That is the easiest way.

The target folder where to copy or create the shortcuts files for the "network locations" (per user) is: "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts"

You can use vbscript, powershell or GP-Preferences to create shortcuts in the target folder. Or you can copy existing shortcuts to the target folder with a script.

(If you only use batches you can use a utility to create shotcut files i.e. http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/shortcut.html - else use xcopy /d to copy pre-created shortcut files)

/Rems
          Last edited by Rems; 20th May 2014, 11:11.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Hi Rems, thanks for the insight. I'm not sure if doing this would be best to combat crytolocker, i'd lean towards layered security and good backups.
            This technique of using network locations seems better suited to a small group instead of large scale.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Working...
            X