Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remotely edit DNS and IP configuration on vpn clients

Sir,

I have a VPN based Network in our organization. and it is connecting more then 50 cities. all pc's have clients rights.

Sir is there any way to change there DNS by using my computer local command prompt without logging on there systems.
    I want to access those system through my command prompt and wants to change there IP and DNS.

Please is there anyone can guide me the proper use and commands of netsh.

Re: Command Prompt

If it is a domain based network, you could roll out a startup script to use netsh to reconfigure them

Oops -- I see you know you need netsh already
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

might wanna try microsoft's script repository

on the left side choose "networking" -> "client side management"
      look for Modify the TCP/IP Configuration for a Computer

i can't post the link because i have less than 5 posts to my name.

Comment

Originally posted by Perwani View Post
        Sir is there any way to change there DNS by using my computer local command prompt without logging on there systems.
        I want to access those system through my command prompt and wants to change there IP and DNS.
        You should set DNS configuration from DHCP settings instead.

For scripting solution, netsh -r will connect to a remote system. Read this Petri's article about netsh usage. The standard way is to put a list of clients into a text file and loop through it. Alternatively, you can query AD for desired computers and use it as the source for netsh targets.

-vP

Comment

Re: remotely edit DNS and IP configuration on vpn clients

i agree with vonpryz - using dhcpis probably the best way to do this.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Netsh Commands

Mod edit: Threads merged

Sir,

I have a firewall secure network in my orgnaztion. i wanna access my clients systems through command prompt remtrly and change there DNS and IP addresses remotely through my command prompt without interupting users and without logging OFF/ON systems.

Is there anyone can explain me how can i do that in simple way by using NETSH commands and access my clients remotely through my Local system,(command Promt) which is also on same network.

waiting for your prompt action.

regards

Nabeel
            Last edited by Rems; 7th January 2011, 10:53.

Comment

Re: Netsh Commands

Please do NOT double post -- you have asked the same question, and got answers, here:
              http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=52553
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

may i know from where i can get all commands which are relevent to netsh remotely access. only remote using commands.

Comment

Alternatively, click on the blue link in my post #2 above -- that goes to the reference manual.
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

dear all,

It's not a domain based network. and -r command is not working.

Comment

you want to change the IP addresses and DNS settings on a whole range of computers, that are connected to a phsyical network, right ?
                      you're talking about over 50 locations, connected via VPN.

So my assumption here is, unless you are maintaining a massively stupid series of Excel spreadsheets listing all the current IP addresses, subnets, routes, etc, you probably use DHCP.

So therefore my question becomes:

Why are you so insistent on using NetSH, or command line utilities to acheive your aim?
                      Why not just use the DHCP system - this is one of the things it was actually designed for.

Manually changing IP address settings for computers over 50 remote sites. Are you insane ?
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X