No announcement yet.

Vmware Server Question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware Server Question

First post and silly question:
    I am setting up a demo area for my company and I have a Dell 1850 with 6gb of ram and 300gb of mirrored disk space. I loaded Vmware Server and I want to have product managers and sales people use preconfigured XP SP2 vm sessions on a XP workstation. I want to be able to have the users only access the vm sessions and not have access to the host pc. Is there a way to have each XP session that I create available as an icon on the desktop without the ability to delete, create or modify the session. I know you have more features with VMWare Workstation but the client asks for remote/local on each login. Is there a way to go directly to the vm session on the vmware server?
    Thanks in advance,

Re: Vmware Server Question

Hi Netbob,

Thank you for the post. This is a good question.

In my experience, I would just enable Window remote desktop for each of the vmware xp machines. Then put a remote desktop connection icon on each of the users' desktops. They would click on the RDP icon and it would take them to the machine you specified on the command line for the icon.

Do you think that would do it?

David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: &