Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seperate swap file for virtual machines

Hello to all,

I read a performance tip for VMware that said that you should create a seperate disk swap file for each virtual system to increase performance. I am wondering if anyone is doing this and, if so, whether or not you have seen any performance increase.
    Or, is this just one of those things that "in theory" should give better performance but no one can really tell a difference.

Thanks,
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Re: seperate swap file for virtual machines

I am guessing you would create two virtual hard drives, putting both on two different physical drives of the host and in the guest OS putting your virtual memory on the seperate drive.

Make sense??! Probably not! but lol!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: separate swap file for virtual machines

From the VMWare perspective it might be true, however from a mechanical perspective it makes no sense, as after all, all virtual disks are on the same spindle. If you have different HDs, then that will indeed boost your performance.

That's the way I see it, but I could be wrong.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
        You are correct.

In most cases, people do not configure separate spindles of disks that are dedicated to swap files for VMs.

For people with ESX and liberal amounts of SAN resources, you can make the argument that moving Virtual Machine swap to a different LUN which maps back to a different group of disks than that of the VM's operating system, increases performance of the VM, and you would be right. However, the performance gain inside the VM is going to be quite minimal, if even measureable at all. In the end, I don't think the added complexity and SAN expense is worth a performance improvement that in most cases will go unnoticed. It makes for good discussion though. Thank you David for bringing it up.
        Last edited by jasonboche; 16th June 2006, 04:21.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
        boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
        My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
          From the VMWare perspective it might be true, however from a mechanical perspective it makes no sense, as after all, all virtual disks are on the same spindle. If you have different HDs, then that will indeed boost your performance.

That is what i meant if it wasn't clear
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X