No announcement yet.

Virtual Routing With Freesco Floppy Router

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Routing With Freesco Floppy Router

I've got one physical and virtual switch subnet ( which has both physical and virtual hosts as well as internet access.

I've got another virtual switch subnet ( which I was instructed to set up for some isolated lab testing. Due to the lab requirements, the virtual lab servers must be configured on the subnet (common for Microsoft Press training and certification books)

I just found out the virtual lab servers require internet access. How can keep the lab servers isolated on the subnet, yet still give them internet access without making a complete mess of my existing internet configuration?

Freesco virtual floppy router which is downloadable for free from the link below:

The Freesco virtual floppy router can be granularly configured for many uses, but one of these uses could be to facilitate the routing of the isolated subnet to the internet connected subnet.

The Freesco (name derived from the concept of "Free Cisco") virtual floppy router will load as a virtual floppy disk image in VMware Workstation, GSX Server, VMware Server Beta, or ESX Server. At just 1.41MB in size, this incredibly lightweight virtual floppy router boots up in a matter of seconds and only requires a maximum of 16MB RAM.

Screenshot of the Freesco virtual floppy router

If I have sparked any interest whatsoever, I can continue this discussion with a "Part II" on how to configure the floppy router for the environment above.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.