Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Workstation versus ESX

Hello,

Is it normal for a company to buy VMWare Workstation and set it up in three different servers, so as to have 3 or 4 virtual machines, along with the host?

I mean, is it more expensive than buying VMWare ESX ?

Also:

Can a company have vmaware workstation "for free" (aka: ilegal) and get away with it ?

Thanks in advance.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: VMWare Workstation versus ESX

AFAIK ESX has free versions (similar to HyperV Server) without the majority of the management tools (http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/vsphere-hypervisor)

As for using unlicensed copies of software - they may get away with it for a while, but if that is their ethical attitude, would you want to work for them?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian.

I meant to say how was it possible for them to get away with it, as they did, for years (I worked for them in my home country).

I mean: Is there no inspectors, people who go to companies to check licenses?.

It never happened there.

But my question, also, is: Is VMWare workstation worth buying, rather than VMWare ESX?.

Thanks, once more.
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Using the free edition of ESXi is cheaper than buying a single copy of VMware Workstation (plus potentially the underlying OS that Workstation sits on top of), plus ESXi will deliver more capabilities and offer much better performance for the VMs.

And you won't break the law by using free ESXi.
        VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Thanks a lot Scott.

I didn't know there was a free version of ESXi,

Do companies set that one or go for the paid?. I suppose that it is like the SQL Express version, a limited version, not suitable for even small sized companies?

Really informative!
          -
          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

The free version can't be managed centrally (by vCenter Server) - so companies usually pay for vSphere which includes ESXi.

The link to the free version: http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/vsphere-hypervisor

And here's the comparison page for the paid versions:http://www.vmware.com/uk/products/vsphere/compare.html
            VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Thanks a lot scott28tt !!.

-
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
              X