Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random packets droping on hosts but not on guests

Hi,

So Im in the midst of implementing our VM network and Im noticing a strange issue. If I run a continual ping on both of the hosts every so often a packet or two will drop and then continue as normal.

If I run a ping on the switch which the guests are connected to all is well and it pings all day long. Ive switched the nics from the production network to the management network to make sure its not them and the same continues to happen.

The management network and the production network are on the same vlan (shouldn't make a difference?) with nic teaming enabled.

I have also plugged them into a different "physical" switch to test if its that but it doesn't make a difference - any ideas please?

Also apologies if Ive missed any vital info - just ask and I will say.

Thanks

Re: Random packets droping on hosts but not on guests

Just to update this, I stumbled across another person having a similar issue and the resolution was to go with the Dell specific VMware Esxi 5.5 build.

I did this and now it seems stable - very strange.

Comment

There are specific drivers installed into the Dell ESXi image. Same with HP and any other tier 1 vendor that has one.

If at all possible always use the vendors install image.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        There are specific drivers installed into the Dell ESXi image. Same with HP and any other tier 1 vendor that has one.

If at all possible always use the vendors install image.
        Whats the best way to migrate a working host which is installed on one version of ESXi (standard) to another (Dell specific)? Can I just back up the configuration and then restore it to the different version of ESXi?

Comment

Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
          Whats the best way to migrate a working host which is installed on one version of ESXi (standard) to another (Dell specific)? Can I just back up the configuration and then restore it to the different version of ESXi?
          If you have enough capacity to run VM's on other hosts then just do a rebuild of the system.

Backup and then restore the config if required.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=2042141

Comment

Working...
          X