Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really need a different vlan\subnet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need a different vlan\subnet?

Hi,

Im just trying to make clear in my head if I really need to separate the VMware management network from the production network? I appreciate security could be an issue but are there any other reasons why I would need to do it if Im not using vmotion? I am also allocating 2 dedicated ports on 2 separate nics for this.

The idea for my production environment is to have 2 identical hosts and replicate the VM's from one host to the other as failover using vaeem. I will also have a file level backup solution in place and eventually add a NAS to backup the VM infrastructure to (at that point I think then a separate management subnet\vlan will be required?

Or am I missing something?

Re: Do I really need a different vlan\subnet?

Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
    Hi,

Im just trying to make clear in my head if I really need to separate the VMware management network from the production network? I appreciate security could be an issue but are there any other reasons why I would need to do it if Im not using vmotion? I am also allocating 2 dedicated ports on 2 separate nics for this.

The idea for my production environment is to have 2 identical hosts and replicate the VM's from one host to the other as failover using vaeem. I will also have a file level backup solution in place and eventually add a NAS to backup the VM infrastructure to (at that point I think then a separate management subnet\vlan will be required?

Or am I missing something?
    We don't......

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      We don't......

We don't? We don't do what?

Comment

Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
        We don't? We don't do what?
        Are you serious?

You asked a question and i answered it.

We don't have a separate management VLAN for our VMware system.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Are you serious?

You asked a question and i answered it.

We don't have a separate management VLAN for our VMware system.
          Thanks and yes I was serious, I don't think I was being out of order asking you to elaborate on your response after all there have been many posts on here asking people to give a more detailed explanation of the question they are asking so I would have thought the same should apply for any response.

Thank you for confirming my initial thoughts.

Comment

Ah yes, the old misinterpreting a posted answer. Quite understandable because one of you speaks English and the other has been exposed to BrisVegas Orestrainlian English for many years now where everything is abbreviated.

5habbaranks, only really half joking here. eg. Service Station is called a Servo. Ambulance is an Ambo (chop most words down to 4 or 5 letters, add an o and you have the way they speak. You also have to hold your nose closed so you can approximate the indescribable accent; true!). Arsetralians really have bastardised the language to an extent where people from one part of the country have difficulty understanding those from a different part (usually at least 1,000km away). Good thing that I am a Kiwi and multi-lingual so I can translate for them, usually with the help of a good strong (and heavy) wooden mallet.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X