Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare backup of a Domain controller

Hello,

I am wondering if I should use the "Windows Server Backup" feature in Windows 2008 to backup my domain controllers, or to backup the whole vmware machine in another disk.

I am also wondering how this is done in actual enterprise, because mine is a lab learning environment.

Do they backup machines just copying the vmware files in other locations every two hours or every day , or they use still the Windows Server feature within Windows 2008 ?

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: VMWare backup of a Domain controller

Well here's what MS recommend for virtual DCs on Hyper-V:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...in_controllers
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
      Hello,

I am wondering if I should use the "Windows Server Backup" feature in Windows 2008 to backup my domain controllers, or to backup the whole vmware machine in another disk.

I am also wondering how this is done in actual enterprise, because mine is a lab learning environment.

Do they backup machines just copying the vmware files in other locations every two hours or every day , or they use still the Windows Server feature within Windows 2008 ?

Thanks in advance!
      No. As per Scott's link it is not recommended.

We use Backup Exec to backup our domain controllers. We also have multiple DC's and each has only a single task, being a DC, so if it fails we flatten metadata cleanup (only if it is unable to be properly demoted) and then rebuild.

Being in a lab environment you shouldn't really be worried about backing up religiously. My lab consists of a prebuilt domain that i've hived off to OVF files. Single DC with DNS and DHCP and possibly a client. If i have issue is delete the old DC and re-import from the OVF file.

Comment

Thanks a lot both for your help!.

Scott28tt, really nice article , I have read it completely, amazing!.

A question arises:

If I take a snapshot of the virtualized domain controller (vmware in my case), when I used that snapshot, the issue would be that the USN would not propagate properly to the other DCs ?. I did not understand this.
        -
        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Microsoft have fixed the USN issue with Server 2012R2 DCs but they still recommend not snapshotting in a production environment

http://blogs.technet.com/b/reference...rver-2012.aspx
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/l.../hh831734.aspx
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot Ossian ! . That sounds like good news.

I am also reading that you cannot take a snapshot as a backup for Exchange servers.

THANKS!
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Snapshots are NOT backups! (repeat that several times to be sure!)

I would not use snapshots on production machines, but use them a lot for deployment (to allow rollback if something fails)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Snapshots are NOT backups! (repeat that several times to be sure!)

I would not use snapshots on production machines, but use them a lot for deployment (to allow rollback if something fails)
                I agree.

I use snapshots prior to making any big changes that affect only a single server and never ever across 2 or more servers.

I never snap exchange or SQL either.

Comment

the ohters have said it already. snapshots are not backups.
                  you only make a snapshot for a short period of time, as a precaution or part of risk management.
                  if your operation fails, you roll back the snapshot.
                  Otherwise, commit the snapshot

too much shit occurs as a result of virtual guest have 5, 10, 15 snapshots.. filling up the drive and being unable to commit them.

Have seen same on both hyperV and esx
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks a lot for that tip !! .
                    -
                    Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                    X