Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workstation10: Could not open virtual machine. Permission to perform this operation..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workstation10: Could not open virtual machine. Permission to perform this operation..

Workstioan 10: ERROR msg: Could not open virtual machine: vmxx. Permission to perform this operation was denied.

I am trying to set up Permissions on a collections of VMs inside a Folder inside a Datacenter using vSphere Client. I have an Active Directory, so I added a user with VM power user role from the Permissions tab of the Folder. When Domain\user01, the domain user, try to access the VMs inside the Folder using VMware Workstation 10 I get "Could not open virtual machine: vm242. Permission to perform this operation was denied". When I check the Permissions of the Folder from WMware Workstation I can verify that Domain\user01 has a VM power user role and Propagate to children is selected. The question is how I can set the permissons on this Folder so Domain\user01 can access it without seeing any other VMs using Workstation 10. I appreciate any help on the issue. Thank you.

Update: Tested VMware Web Client with my new domain and it works with no major issues - except for the annoying bug "Unable to connect to the MKS". So the issue is now limited to WMware Workstation 10. I can open the console for all of my VMs with Web Client. Any VMware pros here with Workstation experience who dealt with a similar issue?. I am going crazy here.

Re: Workstation10: Could not open virtual machine. Permission to perform this operati

Originally posted by vctl View Post
    Workstioan 10: ERROR msg: Could not open virtual machine: vmxx. Permission to perform this operation was denied.

I am trying to set up Permissions on a collections of VMs inside a Folder inside a Datacenter using vSphere Client. I have an Active Directory, so I added a user with VM power user role from the Permissions tab of the Folder. When Domain\user01, the domain user, try to access the VMs inside the Folder using VMware Workstation 10 I get "Could not open virtual machine: vm242. Permission to perform this operation was denied". When I check the Permissions of the Folder from WMware Workstation I can verify that Domain\user01 has a VM power user role and Propagate to children is selected. The question is how I can set the permissons on this Folder so Domain\user01 can access it without seeing any other VMs using Workstation 10. I appreciate any help on the issue. Thank you.

Update: Tested VMware Web Client with my new domain and it works with no major issues - except for the annoying bug "Unable to connect to the MKS". So the issue is now limited to WMware Workstation 10. I can open the console for all of my VMs with Web Client. Any VMware pros here with Workstation experience who dealt with a similar issue?. I am going crazy here.
    I've seen the MKS issue with DNS problems but primarily related to IE.

In the web client assign the user access to the VM only and that will be all they can access.

They will see your vCenter server and cluster but they don't have permission to access.

It would also be beneficial to advise what version of VMware vSphere you are using

Comment

Working...
    X