Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU always ay 100%, impossible to deal with

Hello,

I have a virtual machine with 1.5 GB RAM. It always goes at 100% CPU, or almost always, and it is really difficult to deal with. I hit the start button within that VMWare and it reacts in 10 seconds or even longer, normally longer ! .

I have tried increasing the RAM, with no results.

VMWare tells me the "recommended RAM is 1024 MB" and I don't know why this recommendation.

The host operating system is Windows 8, with 8 GB RAM.

The guest operating system is 2008 R2, with the TMG 2010 firewall. I have others 2008 R2 with no issues.

Could I put 2 Virtual CPUs into my VMWare machine? I really don't know how to improve the performance other than increasing the guest ram.

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: CPU always ay 100%, impossible to deal with

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
    Hello,

I have a virtual machine with 1.5 GB RAM. It always goes at 100% CPU, or almost always, and it is really difficult to deal with. I hit the start button within that VMWare and it reacts in 10 seconds or even longer, normally longer ! .

I have tried increasing the RAM, with no results.

VMWare tells me the "recommended RAM is 1024 MB" and I don't know why this recommendation.

The host operating system is Windows 8, with 8 GB RAM.

The guest operating system is 2008 R2, with the TMG 2010 firewall. I have others 2008 R2 with no issues.

Could I put 2 Virtual CPUs into my VMWare machine? I really don't know how to improve the performance other than increasing the guest ram.

Thanks in advance!
    What process is using the CPU??

Comment

Thanks wulliebt1 .

It is impossible to work with that machine. I have restarted twice now, and it is unbearable to hit any menu, to get anywhere thorugh three clicks, it takes so long !!

It gets stuck, I manage to get to the Task Manager and saw 100% CPU usage almost all the time, but could not reach the "Processes" tab.
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
        Thanks wulliebt1 .

It is impossible to work with that machine. I have restarted twice now, and it is unbearable to hit any menu, to get anywhere thorugh three clicks, it takes so long !!

It gets stuck, I manage to get to the Task Manager and saw 100% CPU usage almost all the time, but could not reach the "Processes" tab.
        You need to leave it.

You really can't expect us to help you if you can't provide any details on the cause of the spike.

Comment

how many processors are on the vm now?

this may sound counter intuitive, but if you have two CPUs, try reducing the number to 1. if its already at 1p/1c, then disregard. i just know that there were instances where additional CPUs caused a spike like that...

next, i have seen this caused by vmware tools. try updating the version on the VM or uninstalling it altogether.

is virtualization enabled in the BIOS on the host? does it even have the virtualization switches? i would check that...

what version of what are you using? some versions did not support 2008R2. if your using the latest, this isnt applicable, but its worth mentioning as i dont see the specs here and its not good to assume anything in these forums..
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks both.

Finally I gave up. It just didn't allow me to go anywhere within the guest operating system.

My guess: TMG 2010 + Forefront protection for Exchange + Exchange Edge server role. This combination needs a cpu better than the one in my host pc (AMD Dual-Core Processor E1-1200).

This is my conclusion since I have other 2008 R2 VMWares with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks to you all for your great replies and help !
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

I'm pretty sure that DOS needs a better processor than an E1-1200 !

I mean.. sure.. the minimum specs for Forefront might see an 800Mhz CPU, and the E1 @1400 exceeds that, but you have to consider it's only shared access to that CPU and it's also trying to run the virtualisation stack.

Is this for a test lab ? it's a laptop processor. it has to be a test lab, right ?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, a test lab.

I have just installed again TMG 2010, and it is okay.

It is when I add Forefront protection for Exchange + Exchange Edge server role to the TMG Firewall when the issues begin.

Thanks!

P.S: Yes, it is a laptop processor.

I don't understand what you say: "...only shared access to that CPU...."
                -
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

ok.. so you have a processor that can perform at the maximum, at 1.4Ghz

if TMG requires an 800Mhz minimum cpu to function, and your base Windows OS is already using a 200Mhz, just to start the Virtualization environment, then it's not got alot of power left.
                  Especially if you have other guests running as well and you're trying to do things in the host OS.

what i'm trying to say is - the environment you're trying to build, if it was running on that E1 processor by itself, might be fine if it had direct hardware access.
                  But it doesn't have exclusive use of the processor.

so you might just be overloading it..
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks TehCamel.

When you wrote: "...and your base Windows OS is already using a 200Mhz..." you mean my host operating system, or my guest ?.

The host is Windows 8 and the guest is W2K8 R2.

I have 5 vmware machines running, fairly well, because the laptop has 8 GB RAM.

4 vmware go well, five go just ...fairly well for my tests.

I have three Exchange 2010, one DC, and one TMG 2010, all over W2K8 R2.

As long as I don't install Forefront protection for Exchange + Exchange Edge server role over the TMG 2010 machine, things work fairly well.
                    -
                    Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                    X