Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Hypervisor

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone can guide me on the next steps to carry out after setting up the VMware Hypervisor. I have gone through and installed it on a spare dell PC and my goal is to be able to run a windws 2000 Guest on it. Is this possible? I have created the guest virtual machine on the Hypervisor 5.5 server and want to know how can i boot directly into the guest OS when the PC is turned on bypassing the server settings.

I am now thinking that I have gone off on a tangent and this is not even possible.

IF so can I run the guest on a seperate PC. I have another identical DEll Optiplex 980 PC lying around that I can use to run the guest on.

Basically I have come down this path from my current needs, as follows.

I have a windows 2000 application that I need to run. It only runs in windows 2000 and is used in my company in production. We rely on it everyday to do a critical role. It communciates with other PC's on the server and sends information to them.

The PC it is currently running on is very old and I feal the hardware is going to die very soon as a few of our other PCs have. However we have been able to upgrade those PCs to windows 7 as they didn't require this application.

Getting the application re coded to be compatible with windows xp or 7 is too costly and will take over a year to commision.

If I cant use hypervisor to run and host the win2k software could someone please recommend what my other options are.

I need to be able to turn on the PC and get straight into the OS like a native windows 2k PC would. It needs to be able to communicate on the network. Those are really the main requirements.

Would I be able to use VMware workstation and somehow boot into the OS using it?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I am an engineering student with minimal experience in this field.

Any Help Would be much appreciated.

Re: VMware Hypervisor

Just to clarify you currently have a PC with ESXi 5.5 installed on it. Is this correct??

ESXi is the host OS that resides on the drives and will be the OS that boots up when the computer is running. You will NOT be able to view the client OS from the monitor attached to this system.

What you need to do is install the vSphere client and connect to the host server using the root account and password.

From there you can create your Windows 2000 system.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      You will NOT be able to view the client OS from the monitor attached to this system.
      This was my main goal. I was hoping I could view the client OS on the same machine so it acts as a server and client. But I guess this is not possible from what you have mentioned.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      Just to clarify you currently have a PC with ESXi 5.5 installed on it. Is this correct??

What you need to do is install the vSphere client and connect to the host server using the root account and password.

From there you can create your Windows 2000 system.
      Thanks for your reply,

Yes the infromation you have outlined above is correct. I have ESXI 5.5 installed and have created the windows 2000 guest OS with another Win7 one as well just to test.

Being new to virtualisation and having used online guides to get this far, I don't know how to deploy the guest OS to another machine to view. (If there is a book or guide out there on the WWW that i can't seem to find that would be great) Basically I can view it from the vSphere client but for this a user would have to log on, open the vSphere client and log in. I can add the vSphere to the startup folder and have it boot up automatically, But how do I automate the process of logging in, having it display in full screen and not be able to close it. So you end up only ever running the guest and not the actual OS loaded on the PC.

Instead of this, as an alternative solution to my problem. Would I be able to use VMware Workstation 10 or player to achieve my goal? setup a guest OS here, get it to boot up on windows startup and get it to boot in fullscreen so the user is oblivious to the underlying Host OS running. Also need to make sure the user cannot minimise the VMware guest. This way I don't need to have 2 PCs running to get the task done.

Comment

Why not just setup the Dell system you are using at the moment for the Windows 2000 system??

You seem to be over complicating things somewhat.

Comment

Working...
        X