Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading of guest os from microsoft server 2003 to microsoft server 2008 in ESXi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading of guest os from microsoft server 2003 to microsoft server 2008 in ESXi

Hi all,

Currently, I am running a guest os - Microsoft server 2003 and I wish to upgrade it to Microsoft server 2008.
    How do I go about upgrading? Is it possible for me to upgrade like the normal process - using installation disc as I wish to keep the present applications untouched except for those with compatibility issues. Or should I recreate a new virtual machine with server 2008 and reinstall applications?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    David

Re: Upgrading of guest os from microsoft server 2003 to microsoft server 2008 in ESXi

There is no difference between a physical and a virtual machine as far as the OS is concerned, so you can insert the media and do a normal upgrade. (Remember you can only upgrade the same architecture (x86 to x86 or x64 to x64)

On the other hand, how much legacy cr*p will be brought to the upgraded machine, and is it better to do a fresh install?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Upgrading of guest os from microsoft server 2003 to microsoft server 2008 in ESXi

Thanks for your reply, I guess its a choice for me to choose between a fresh installation on esxi or face the legacy issues doing a direct upgrade.

Comment

Working...
      X