Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attempting to resize host disk space of XP client (in VMware Workstation)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempting to resize host disk space of XP client (in VMware Workstation)

Hi Everyone,

I am using VMware Workstation 8.0.1 (build-528992) to run a Windows XP client from my Windows 7 host.

Originally the client OS was pre-allocated 50 Gigs of storage space on my host hard drive. I now need to resize the hard drive on my host, but VMware is producing the error message below -

"You can't compact this virtual disk because it is preallocated"

I understand why the message is being presented, however I am wondering if there is a work around for this issue. I really need to reduce the size of my client OS so that I can put it onto an SSD that I have spare.

Any help or advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Re: Attempting to resize host disk space of XP client (in VMware Workstation)

yeah, its correct... you cant do that.

but whos to say you cant create a new virtual disk and not preallocate it, then copy/clone the drive in question, then shuffle the drives around and once the new disk is working correctly, you can ditch the old one and compact the new one.

i did a quick look to double check that im right, and i am. the vmware forums have similar advice to mine, so im going to go with it as is..

How to shrink a pre-allocated vmdk?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Yep, just as James said, you can't do that. When initially determining the size of your vdisk, you always want to go the conservative route. You can almost always add space to a vdisk, but I don't know of anything with which you can safely and reliably remove it.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to use 2 vdisks: 1 for system, 1 for data. In the case that your data drive needs to be smaller, you could always create a new vdisk, copy the contents over and delete the original. That's not so easily accomplished if your OS is installed on the same disk.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

This can indeed be done! Because I started with an expandable, split, Virtual Disk there were several steps involved; here is the essence of those steps -

1). Using vmware-vdiskmanager merge the split files into one -

Note: when running this utility be sure to include the "2" parameter, which designates the creation of a preallocated Virtual Disk, otherwise the steps that follow (which use the shrinkvd program will NOT work!).

Here is a screen shot of the command that worked for me -

2). Add the newly created Virtual Disk, "merged.vmdk" to the existing VM.
        3). Delete the existing Virtual Disk from the Virtual Machine
        4). Start the Virtual Machine (you will likely be asked if you moved or copied the VM, I responded with 'Moved').
        5). Using shrinkvd resize the Virtual Disk

Notice above that the first time I ran the command it failed, with the message "ddb.deletable" being the crux of the issue. I simply deleted this line from the relevant ".vmdk" file and ran the command again.

Now when I boot up into my Virtual XP I am using only 24 Gigs of space, and I am in a position to transfer the Virtual Machine to a smaller capacity drive; in this case an old 30 Gig SSD.

I hope that this helps others.

Kind Regards,

Davo

P.S.: Would LOVE to have helped further here by giving links; but this RETARDED FORUM won't let me use them...what a f**king joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Davo View Post
          P.S.: Would LOVE to have helped further here by giving links; but this RETARDED FORUM won't let me use them...what a f**king joke!
          you will be able to once you reach a minimum posting count. you should see what happens when we let anyone post links from jump street... no pretty.

in my experience, you can still post links if you just change the address to something like "hXXp://" instead of using the insert link thingy.

i hope your inability to post links at this stage of your journey doesnt prevent you from partaking. this place really does rock.

and i think that the steps you are outling are still in line with what we are telling you. when done like you have, its just letting vmwd manager do the cloning/copying to a new vdisk... i think you did exactly what we said to do. there are several ways to achieve what you did, and that was one of them.

point being, that original pre-allocated disk was never really shrunk, per se, it was moved to another more manageable disk, i think. ???
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
          X