Suggestions on Laptop Specification to build a HOME VM LAB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Laptop Specification to build a HOME VM LAB

Hello All, can you please suggest a budget laptop under (1200 USD or 10000 HKD ) to build a home lab where i can test and practice Vsphere 5.5 and other vmware technologies like vcloud and others till now i have select the below if see if anyone is using the same or having better suggestions. Thanks

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
    • Windows 8.1 (64Bit) HK MUI (English)
    • 17.3 inch LED Backlit Touch Display with Truelife and FHD resolution (1920 x 1080)
    • 16GB 2 DIMM (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz
    • 1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hybrid Hard Drive with 8GB Cache
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB DDR5
    • Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

New Inspiron 17 7000 Series 17” HD Laptop Details | Dell Hong Kong

Re: Suggestions on Laptop Specification to build a HOME VM LAB

First thought is that the drive IOPS are going to be a problem with a single slow drive (even a hybrid) - look for 7200RPM or better still SSD

Do you really need a laptop - a decent desktop would be cheaper and allow multiple drive spindles (RAID1+0 for performance) and dual monitors, plus RAM expansion
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by abahl View Post
      Hello All, can you please suggest a budget laptop under (1200 USD or 10000 HKD ) to build a home lab where i can test and practice Vsphere 5.5 and other vmware technologies like vcloud and others till now i have select the below if see if anyone is using the same or having better suggestions. Thanks

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
      • Windows 8.1 (64Bit) HK MUI (English)
      • 17.3 inch LED Backlit Touch Display with Truelife and FHD resolution (1920 x 1080)
      • 16GB 2 DIMM (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz
      • 1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hybrid Hard Drive with 8GB Cache
      • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB DDR5
      • Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

New Inspiron 17 7000 Series 17” HD Laptop Details | Dell Hong Kong
      I reckon something like that would be adequate.

For your labs have a look here http://www.labguides.com/autolab/ Yes you need to register but can opt out.

Also have a look at what the specs are that the labs were built on.

Comment

Ossian - thanks for your reply , Why laptop bcoz i am on travel and staying not my native country so thought of having a decent laptop where i can build a test home lab and practice

wullieb1 @ thanks for your reply and the the site in which the options mentioned. I will see if i get a SSD along with laptop or will try to buy external SSD.

Comment

Working...
        X