Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how the VM machine elects the hardware resources !?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how the VM machine elects the hardware resources !?

hi all

assume your server is 8 cores processor,
    if you install 4 VMs, and assign each one of them 4 cores, how this will work !?

like the total cores will be used is 16, but the actual cores are 8 ?

can someone explain this to me ?

thanks,

Re: how the VM machine elects the hardware resources !?

I suspect the VMware way is the same as HyperV - timeslicing so the physical processors get cycles assigned to different VMs in turn, probably with some load balancing to ensure the more active ones get more slices.

Remember that, even though a machine may have 4 virtual cores, it is unlikely to be using them most of the time, so the hypervisor can take time away from one VM and give it to another as it wants.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks Ossian for your reply,

I have one more question please on ESXi server,

when you install, how it will detect the Hardware without drivers,
      like LAN card for example ?

Comment

I have limited knowledge of ESX (I use HyperV) but I believe there is a hardware compatibility list so there are built in drivers for supported hardware.

It would appear you can add additional drivers: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/465819
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X