Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfer Hosts to New Server Without the Old Server working.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Hosts to New Server Without the Old Server working.

Here's our situation.

Our VSphere 5.1 server hardware has been damaged beyond repair and the HD's are toast. The person responsible for backing up the server failed to do so and there are no viable backups. There are three hosts on the old server and all the VM's under them are still running, but I cannot connect using the old server.

I have installed a new 5.1 VSphere server (which has an empty database) on different hardware and need to transfer all three existing hosts from the dead server to the new one.

How can I do this? Thanks.

Re: Transfer Hosts to New Server Without the Old Server working.

I don't understand your question. You say that the hardware has been damaged beyond repair but then you say you have 3 hosts with VM's running on them. What exactly died? Was it a host server? If so, what are these 3 other hosts that you're referring to? Can you connect to and login to the VM's?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      I don't understand your question. You say that the hardware has been damaged beyond repair but then you say you have 3 hosts with VM's running on them. What exactly died? Was it a host server? If so, what are these 3 other hosts that you're referring to? Can you connect to and login to the VM's?
      I have three hosts running on physically separate servers in a VM datacenter running the VM's.

The VSphere server we used to connect to those hosts was on a fourth box and that is the server that is gone.

See attached pic. The arrow shows the dead VSphere machine. All Hosts and VM's are still running.
      Attached Files

Comment

1. When you say "The VSphere server we used to connect to those hosts was on a fourth box" do you mean the vCenter Server?

2. Are the VM's running on the fourth server on shared storage?

3. Do you have a backup of the vCenter Server?

Comment

1. When you say "The VSphere server we used to connect to those hosts was on a fourth box" do you mean the vCenter Server?

Yes.

2. Are the VM's running on the fourth server on shared storage?

There are no VM's running on the vCenter Server and it is stand alone with no shared storage. It is a physical box and unusable.

Servers 1,2 and 3 have all the VM's and do use shared storage. All of them are up and running.

3. Do you have a backup of the vCenter Server?

If I did, I'd be using it. That's the issue. All of the VM's are backed up, but not the vCenter server.

Sorry, not being snarky. Been here since Sunday morning.

Comment

No worries, I'm just trying to understand the problem. Using the correct terminology helps. You keep saying vSphere Server, but you're really talking about your vCenter Server.

So the fourth host with the vCenter Server on it has crashed. Other than that there are no other VM's of consequence on the fourth host. You have deployed a new vCenter Server on one of the remaining hosts and need to know how to have it manage the three remaining hosts.

If I'm understanding this correctly then simply add the three remaining hosts to the new vCenter Server just as you would if you were setting them up from scratch. You should get some type of message about them being managed by another vCenter Server and do you want to "disassociate" them from the old vCenter Server and "associate" them with the new vCenter Server. Respond in the affirmative and once they're added you can install your licenses and set up your cluster again.

It's been awhile since I've had to do this and I don't have a test lab I can use at the moment but I'm fairly certain that I've had to "transfer" hosts from one vCenter Server to another before.

Comment

Thanks, I hoped for something that simple. Currently downloading the patches to get everything up to date then I'll give it a go.

Comment

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Comment

Spent the last day installing the server. New server hardware, fresh installs of W2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2 with their own little idiosyncrasies.

SSO and Inventory Service installed. I created the SSO db from the enclosed scripts and everything went through fine.

Installing vCenter Server and the install hangs at SQL Server install:

install_sql_engine_core_inst_Cpu64_Action

with the progress bar right over the e in core. Stops there consistently. Pic attached.

SQL ERRORLOG shows nothing out of place.

2014-04-16 16:29:48.59 Server Server is listening on [ 'any' <ipv6> 49673].
                  2014-04-16 16:29:48.59 Server Server is listening on [ 'any' <ipv4> 49673].
                  2014-04-16 16:29:48.59 Server Server local connection provider is ready to accept connection on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\SQLEXPRESS ].
                  2014-04-16 16:29:48.59 Server Server local connection provider is ready to accept connection on [ \\.\pipe\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS\sql\query ].
                  2014-04-16 16:29:48.59 Server Dedicated administrator connection support was not started because it is disabled on this edition of SQL Server. If you want to use a dedicated administrator connection, restart SQL Server using the trace flag 7806. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:48.69 Server The SQL Server Network Interface library successfully registered the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/BIOSWSUS.BIOS.local:SQLEXPRESS ] for the SQL Server service.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:48.70 Server The SQL Server Network Interface library successfully registered the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/BIOSWSUS.BIOS.local:1433 ] for the SQL Server service.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:48.70 Server SQL Server is now ready for client connections. This is an informational message; no user action is required.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:49.06 spid10s Starting up database 'tempdb'.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:49.20 spid13s The Service Broker protocol transport is disabled or not configured.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:49.20 spid13s The Database Mirroring protocol transport is disabled or not configured.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:49.23 spid13s Service Broker manager has started.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:49.23 spid7s Recovery is complete. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:52.06 spid51 Starting up database 'RSA'.
                  2014-04-16 16:29:52.13 spid51 Recovery is writing a checkpoint in database 'RSA' (5). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

SQL is in mixed mode, I'm installing as domain admin and no errors anywhere I can find.

Online searches find nothing actionable.

Heading home and getting some sleep. Tomorrows another day.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A week long series of annoying errors has educated me very quickly in the setting up of vCenter server on a new server install. My observations of certain issues (Not all that I encountered) are listed.

1) It is imperative the installing account (Whatever user account you are logged in as) has the following rights in Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > User Rights Assignment:

Local Policy Object Display Name User Right
                    Backup files and directories SeBackupPrivilege
                    Debug Programs SeDebugPrivilege
                    Manage auditing and security log SeSecurityPrivilege

If not, the install will fail with unspecific errors.

2) If the SQL install hangs at this point in the SQL install:

install_sql_engine_core_inst_Cpu64_Action

It is because it's waiting for the msiserver service to stop. I found this in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Detail.txt You cannot use "NET STOP msiserver", this will not work.

Use the following command to get the PID of msiserver in an Administrator command prompt.

sc queryex msiserver

Output will look like this.

SERVICE_NAME: msiserver
                    TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
                    STATE : 4 RUNNING
                    (NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
                    WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
                    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
                    CHECKPOINT : 0x0
                    WAIT_HINT : 0x0
                    PID : XXXX <====== PID Value is found here.
                    FLAGS :

Get the PID number and enter this command, where XXXX is the PIC number.

taskkill /f /pid XXXX

That stops the msiservice and let's the install proceed.

3) When SQL is initially installed, a temp directory is created to hold the install files. For me it was called D:\b8f845d75e6eee4e5a, but yours may be different. When the install is done, many of those files are deleted, but not the directory.

The vCenter install may get stuck looking for some of the deleted files, sometimes with no errors logged. To fix this, I downloaded the latest SQL service pack for my server, then using 7-Zip I put the contents into the D:\b8f845d75e6eee4e5a directory. Rerunning the install after that worked perfectly for me.

There is a script you can run to discover any missing install files called FindSQLInstalls.vbs If you have install issues, download it, use an administrative command prompt and CD to the directory the vbs script is installed in. Run:

cscript FindSQLInstalls.vbs TextFileName.txt (Or whatever you want the text file to be called)

Search for !!! to find errors.

4) You enter the password for RSA_DBA and RSA_USER at one point in the process.

When using a previously installed SQL database you are asked later in the install for the same users passwords. BUT the RSA_User is first and RSA_DBA comes second. Entering the wrong passwords in the box will cause authentication errors during the install.

I hope these notes make someone else's life easier than what I just went through.

Comment

Good information. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                      X