Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer VM to another host with the same exact hardware setup issues

Hello,
    Im running free esxi 5.1.0 and a windows 2008 r2 x64 vm which im trying to transfer to another host with the exact same hardware/esxi setup. Ive used several methods of trying to transfer the vm but all have failed. I suspect it has something to do with the vm config file corruption from what im reading. I have used vm converter and it fails at 1% with no specific error, ovatools fails with
    SHA1 digest of file **.vmdk does not match manifest. I even used veambackup fscp free and it fails as well. This is a very important exchange server 2010 vm and hardware is fine. The VM is also running fine when turned on. I believe the cause of my issues transferring is because the VM is thin based. I also think this was a clone i did a long time ago. Again, I cant afford to lose this vm and really appreciate the help.

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	469835

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	469836

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	469837
    Last edited by joeyg2391; 26th February 2014, 18:46.

Re: Transfer VM to another host with the same exact hardware setup issues

i think i figured it out. For some reason i had my vm set up as 2 sockets which the host doesnt even have but the vm still ran fine. I shut it down and change it to single socket single core but i have not tested the transfer yet. Can someone confirm if they have seen this before?

Thanks

Comment

still cant transfer or copy. The VM is running perfectly fine. I just want to move it to a raid 1 setup to avoid HD failure. Please help

Comment

Shutdown the VM.
        Remove the VM from the servers inventory.
        Copy the entire folder to the new location. Veeam Backup and Replication is what I use.
        Add the VM to the servers inventory.

That should pretty much be it.

Comment

i did shut down the vm but did not remove it from inventory when i was getting ready to transfer. Veeam also failed

Comment

when i browse the datastore and try to copy it fails with this message
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by joeyg2391 View Post
              when i browse the datastore and try to copy it fails with this message
              I've never seen that message.

Is the VM shutdown?

How exactly are you trying to migrate the VM?

Comment

Working...
              X